PLC5 Ethernet sidecar

alan_505

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can I use a 1785-ENET on a older PLC5-40 that does not support ControlLogix message to enable me to add ControlLogix messaging?
Providing that the firmware on the ENET is new enough.

Can I use a 1785-ENET on a older PLC5-40 that does not support ControlLogix message to enable me to add ControlLogix messaging?
Providing that the firmware on the ENET is new enough.

The Ethernet interface module, series A, revision E and later, with a
PLC-5 processor can communicate over Ethernet with ControlLogix
devices or through a ControlLogix Ethernet (1756-ENET) module to
other PLC-5 processors. The following diagram shows an Ethernet
PLC-5 processor (or PLC-5 processor with a 1785-ENET sidecar
module) and the other PLC and SLC processors it can communicate
with using a multihop MSG instruction.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um019_-en-p.pdf

To reiterate: both the PLC-5 controller and the 1785-ENET need to have firmware that supports CIP/ControlLogix messaging.

The release notes and the Knowledgebase document the minimum revisions for both.

Which model of PLC-5 and which firmware are you using ?

A DH+/EtherNetIP bridge might let you send messages that emulate PLC-5 data tables. Or a Net-ENI equivalent; Real Time Automation might have what you need if the PLC-5 has a serial port.

Hi Ken,
Its a 1785-L40E, series D, revision B.

I like the idea of using 1756-DHRIO to get comms.

This is only a test rig with a 1756-L55, 1756-EN2T connected to a PanelView Plus 7 series B, and the PLC5.

I am trying to test the functions of the PvP connected to a stripped down PLC5 and CLX program to avoid using the live system, I have a spare slot that I could put the DHRIO card in and message from the PLC5 into the CLX to do my testing.

If you can get a 1756-DHRIO, you might be able to "drill down" from Ethernet to DH+ to that PLC-5.

That was a feature that was absent from RSLinx Enterprise for almost 20 years (RSLinx Classic could do it !), but should work with the newest PV+ terminals and FTLinx.

I don't know if it's helpful, but I had to do a partial upgrade to a system controlled by a non-Ethernet PLC5. We added a CompactLogix 1769-L33ER. It talked via EtherNet/IP to a ControlLogix chassis with a 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO. The -DHRIO was connected to the PLC5. I was able to use pretty simple MSG instructions in the CompactLogix to read/write to the PLC5. I didn't try to do any MSGing from within the PLC5, though. I started to look into it, but decided my time was better spent letting the CompactLogix handle it and document within the PLC5 clearly which registers were coming from the CompactLogix.

I can endorse the ANC_100e_DH+ comms via ethernet. I have one connected to a cell modem that I move around to remote sites as needed and it has been flawless.