iconics and kepware help

timmyh

I currently have the demo versions of iconics and kepware. My trouble is if I create an array in cotrollogix I can get the elements into kepware and dataworx, but when I try to chage the value in graphworx it does not write to the plc. In dataworx I access the array element by

tag:KEPware.KEPServerEx.V4\Channel1.Device1.setpt[3]

Is this the wrong way? I am pretty new at this so any help would be much appreciated
thanks
timmy h

Timmy, the syntax looks right. Is Kepware and the Iconics tag both set to read/write? Did you use the tag browser to link the tag, or did you type in the path? If you used the browser, I would suspect the problem is in your Kepware setup. Open the Kepware quick client and look at the data. If you see errors and not data your problem is in the Kepware setup.

Good luck.

The kepware quick client has good values in it. The only way I can get the iconics to write to the plc is by not having an array. I use the UDB to get to the tag and then use eps editor to make sure I have the right syntax. It is probably something stupid I am looking over. In Kepware I define the tag as follows

"tag_address"{5}

If I have a download value pick action and have value on up = 1, it will change in dataworx but not in kepware. I can also go toggle the bit in the plc and the value in dataworx will follow the program. I thought I had it working before, is there some sort of setting I could have accidently changed?

thanks

I don't know if the array syntax is plc dependent. I have several in control logix. The syntax for the CLX address is:

Controller Scope
"TAGNAME[COLUMN,ELEMENT]"

Program Scope
"PROGRAM:pROGRAM_NAME.TAGNAME[COLUMN,ELEMENT]"

If you set up a tag in Kepware, the tagname can be unique without including the [], but the plc address must be exact.

If your not using a CLX I'm not sure any of this helps.

Charlie

One more thing. The only use I know if in Iconics for the {} characters is in an expression. The tag string is enclosed by a double set of them.

x= {{KEPware.KEPPServerEx.V4\Channel.Device.tag}}

Charlie

Thanks averytc for your advice. My hope was to have kepware only hit the plc for a few tags and break them up in dataworx, but I guess thats not quite possible. For every tag in dataworx there has to be one in kepware. Am I right on this point. If this is the case what is the real advantage of dataworx.

I like to organize my tags in Kepware. I'm not sure what you mean by kepware hitting the plc for a few tags and break them up in dataworx. The advantage of dataworx is opc redundancy and bridging. Use kepware to get the data from the plc, and dataworx to pass it to graphworx. If you are only running one opc server I don't see the need to use dataworx.

I hope this helps. If you want to contact me privately I could send you a couple of examples.

Charlie