Alternative for Omron NT3s

Carol

Hi you all,

does anyone know a suitable alternative for a Omron NT3S touchscreen? The display is okay, but the software [NTXS]o_O totally sucks.
I'm using a lot of these displays and I've encountered so many problems with this software, mostly with graphic elements that have to turn on on a certain bit. Even so the copying from one screen to another causes many sudden shutdowns of the program.

Carol

Obviously if you cannot cope with Omrons software you haven't got a chance with anything that anyone else that the other manufacturers produce. Have you thought about using an etch a sketch?

Hi Carol.

Please ignore "plcking". I feel sorry that your 1st post gets abused by a troll.

Myself, I use Siemens WinCC Flexible and Siemens Panels which can work with Omron PLCs (via "Hostlink" or "Multilink").
That said, WinCC Flexible have lots of issues and I cannot recommend it without reservations.
I havent worked with Proface panels, but I have noted that many users find them easy to program, and they are one of the largest independent panel vendors, so maybe Proface is worth looking into.

I'm not familiar with the Omron HMIs, but Redlion makes a nice versital screen. Automation Direct also sells a nice HMI.

Many cool features on both of these screens with a multitude of drivers for various PLCs.

I like Maple overall, but software from AD is quite good. If software is the issue then choose Automation Direct, or AVG.
There's probably 20 or more HMI manufacturers to choose from, all with good products. Quality of software can vary widely. Download the demos first before making a purchase.

Hi,

thanx for the replies, I'll take a look at your suggestions, perhaps I'll find the goose with the golden egg??

Carol

NTs are quite old, they have been replaced by NS series devices. I'm surprised they are still around. There is plenty of alternatives in form of "multivendor HMIs" that will have more features and do what you ask for same money (or less).

For example little character display unit such as NT11S costs more and it has far less features than some similar sized color screens (like Panasonic)

PTs and NTST do work but clearly show their age:

- you have to initiate transmition on the HMI side before application transfer

- communication setup is also done by accessing maintenance mode of the individual unit instead of being part of the application

- data entry setup is way too demanding, models less than 620 are only offreed numeric entry even though string entry is part of the advertised feature set (NT31 for example)

- manuals were always poor and i don't see them being updated nowdays

- screen arangement in NTST is chaotic at best and not saved when application is closed

- cannot open more than one instance of the NTST

- converting/importing seam to be waste of time, it's better and faster to start from scratch etc.

- there is no dedicated port for download (not always but usually means switching cables during developmet stage).