AB Licencing scheme

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
The plant I am currently working at is about to get a new machine, with an AB control logix PLC.
At present we have no software, but it is to be 'included' in the machine purchase.
It is typical here that the programming software would be installed on the machine HMI to allow maintenance etc to monitor for fault finding.

Is the licence a floating network type,hardware dongle or key disk type

The intention is to have at least 2 keys to allow for offline familiarisation training away from the machine

Cheers

They use keys, but I think that you can install on different computers and move the activation between whichever computer you currently want to use. The default shortcut for moving activation is:
"C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSUtil\EvMoveW.exe"

Hope this helps..You'll enjoy Control Logix, eventually.

Here are some FAQ about Factory Talk that might help. But the best way is to contact your local AB rep.

I purchased RSlogix5000 ver 16 6 months ago and was required to use the internet to activate it. This would not allow me to transfer the activation between my work computer and laptop for uploading/troubleshooting. I contacted my AB rep and they shipped a 'master disk' with the activation on it so I could use EMove to transfer between the 2 computers.

AB Keys

They also sell a usb dongle (about $100). Instead of having the software attach to a network card you can have it attach to this special usb dongle, which would make it floating.

Thanks for the replies. The dongle sounds ideal. I can put it into the engineering stores and it can be booked out and returned as needed and used on multiple laptops

Cheers