RSLinx as OPC Server

ian.smith7

Hi All
We use RSLnx Classic Lite which I understand cannot be used as an OPC Server.
Which version of RS linx do we need to act as an OPC server, RSLinx OEM (at 700GBP) or RSLinx Pro (at 1200GBP)?
Is there a free? utility that would do this job, running on a laptop connected to an SLC500 over Ethernet.
Thanks
Ian Smith.

OEM or Pro can both act as an OPC server.

Linx Classic Lite can act as an OPC server, to a licensed and activated copy of FTView SE / ME system if loaded on the same computer as the server. It might be the same as RSView 32.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

I am a complete newbie to HMI and OPC servers but as I read your reply a thought struck me. Could I write an HMI application in RSView Studio to colect the data I want. Then run the application on a laptop plugged into the enet system. This would then not requre an OPC server.

Cheers Ian

Filling in the holes from previous posts:

RSView32 will not work with RSLinx Lite. OEM, Classic Gateway and Professional will. EDIT: I may have confused OPC with direct connect. I know that RSView32 will not work with Lite as a direct connect server. Unsure about OPC/DDE.

Careful with Single Node (if using DDE not OPC). It will not connect to 3rd Party and it does not support FastDDE (IE, will NOT work with wonderware).

Last edited:
robertmee said:
Careful with Single Node. It will not connect to 3rd Party [..]
Why in the world not ?
What there is not in RSLinx Single node is the Rockwell specific direct connection to for example RSView32.
What there is in RSLinx Single node is the OPC server functionality - limited to a single connection. And as OPC is an open standard it will allow any OPC client to connect. I do think that one of our other departments uses RSLinx Single node for exactly that.

JesperMP said:
Why in the world not ?
What there is not in RSLinx Single node is the Rockwell specific direct connection to for example RSView32.
What there is in RSLinx Single node is the OPC server functionality - limited to a single connection. And as OPC is an open standard it will allow any OPC client to connect. I do think that one of our other departments uses RSLinx Single node for exactly that.

Wrong. I just went through this with Rockwell, as I thought similar to you. I ordered single node and tried it with Wonderware. As soon as WW tried to connect, a large popup error box comes up and announces that single node does not support FastDDE or 3rd Party. The Distributor was caught off guard too. It took a conference call to Tech Connect to confirm that Single Node DOES NOT SUPPORT Wonderware or 3rd Party connections. I had to order Gateway to resolve the problem.

The OP asked about OPC, not DDE.

This feature matrix says it all:
RSLinxMatrix.GIF

Ah, you're absolutely right! My apologies...Having just went through this last week, I had DDE stuck in the brain, and forgot the OP was using OPC. Sorry!!

Hi everyone
Thanks for your replies.

I had hoped to set up 2 simultaneous server connections but I could manage with one so single node may be an option.

My idea of running an HMI application on our laptop connected via enet may not work either because of licence issues.

I did find the Matrikon Time limited opc server on the www. I think these may be my best option since this might be a one off test.

Or I could go with my first option of using a power quality analyser as a data logger. Even though the logger would not be accurate, I want to compare 2 mixers so repeatability may be more important.
I am going to start another thread to get some advice about that.

Thanks for your help.
ian