Dell Precision M60 and PCMK Card

Fourpaw

Has anyone experienced any issues where they can run the PCMK card for months with no issue and then all of a sudden the laptop will freeze whenever the PCMK card or Flash card, or Devicenet card is inserted into the PCMCIA slot?

This has happened now to 3 of our Dell Precision M60's. The 1st time, we exhausted ourselves trying to correct the problem and ended up replacing the motherboard. With these last 2 we are stuck on what to do other than scrap them and by another brand. Any suggestion or ideas would be appreciated.

Fourpaw said:
Has anyone experienced any issues where they can run the PCMK card for months with no issue and then all of a sudden the laptop will freeze whenever the PCMK card or Flash card, or Devicenet card is inserted into the PCMCIA slot?

This has happened now to 3 of our Dell Precision M60's. The 1st time, we exhausted ourselves trying to correct the problem and ended up replacing the motherboard. With these last 2 we are stuck on what to do other than scrap them and by another brand. Any suggestion or ideas would be appreciated.

Not helpful i know but you could buy HP's in future ??!!??

Could you use one of these, dont know if the USB would mess things up though:

http://www.quatech.com/pdf/u142-e.pdf

Don't expect it to work. From Rockwell's Support Page:

PCMCIA EXPRESS card slots
trnsp.gif
Answer
Summary: The manufacturers of PC laptops have developed a new PCMCIA card slot called PCMCIA EXPRESS slot. Rockwell Automation/
A-B has not developed a PCMCIA EXPRESS card for the 1784-PCMK, PCD, or PCC cards, and do not have an EXPRESS card in development at this time. We are looking at either an adaptor via either Ethernet or USB ports to communicate to the various networks ( DH+, DH485, Controlnet, Devicenet).
At this time Rockwell Automation does have a device to communicate to the DH485 network out of the USB port, which is a 1747-UIC.
Rockwell Automation suggests that our customers, if they are ready to purchase a new PC, buy a PC laptop that incorporates a true PCMCIA slot, not a Express slot, so that they can still maintain using their existing cards.
Rockwell Automation has not found a good PCMCIA to PCMCIA EXPRESS adaptor that will reliably work on the DH+, DH485, Controlnet, and Devicenet networks.