RS Linx Connection - Dell Precision 7510

MSnead

My IT department just gave me a "better" laptop than I have ever had the opportunity to use. In the past, they always issued a "Latitude" series with a 13" display. Now, they gave me what was supposed to be a "performance" machine - a Dell Precision 7510 (15"). The primary difference between it and the last Latitude I had is that the Precision has a 64 bit Win7 Professional OS whereas the Latitude had a 32 bit Win 7 Enterprise OS. From what I have been able to tell, there are no real compatibility issues listed between 64 and 32, but I did tell my IT that 32 would be best. They did NOT give me VM ware as I asked. My problem is that RS Linx on the new laptop will not connect to any of my ETHIP devices as it did on the old one. On the old one, all I had to do was key in the IP address and Subnet changing the adapter settings in TCP/IPv4 to use the address I choose. Then, opening Linx and using the ETHIP driver, it would connect showing all devices on the network. With the new laptop, all that will populate using that method is the Stratix switch. However, I can connect if I configure the driver to "Browse Remote Subnet" and key in the IP addy and Subnet there. The only difference in the two adapters is that the old one had an Intel I217-LM and the new one has an Intel I219-LM. Why can't I connect the way that everyone I know does and the way I used to?

Wow ... this must be a rare occurrence. No one else seen this problem? Did I make the question unclear? Just curious as I can't figure out how to "fix" this one. Thanks

Nothing has really changed in RSLinx regarding how to setup the Ethernet I/P driver and there is not difference in using it between 32 bit and 64 bit Windows.

The basic setup procedure is like this:

-Set your IP address static on the same subnet as your devices
-Ping a known device, make sure it replies. Don't bother going on until this is successful.
-Add a new Ethernet I/P driver
-In the driver settings, pick that adapter that shows the I/P address you just configured (I wouldn't use "Windows Default")
-Close the configuration window, click on the driver and let it browse

Yeah, double check that the driver is configured to point at the correct LAN card. I've had problems with the "windows default" option, especially when switching between wireless and wired networks.

I am attempting to connect the same way I always did (before I got the new laptop), it just won't connect like the old one did. I have been using "Windows Default" however, and will try something else. A funny thing, though, Logan ... when I attempt to connect using "browse local subnet" - the way I always have - it shows another IP address for IPv4 that is totally different from the static one that I have set to be static to connect to the PLC. In other words, it will show that there are two IP addresses simultaneously for IPv4 when before it only showed the one that I had entered manually.

Thought it's a little more work, another possible work around is to set up a tree of Ethernet (as opposed to Ethernet/IP) drivers in which you designate the IP address you're trying to connect with. If nothing else, it could be useful as a troubleshooting tool if you are able to communicate over Ethernet and not Ethernet/IP

MSnead,

Your new computer has different Ethernet hardware and it behaves differently. It seems like the order it finds the Ethernet port you are using is different than your old machine. Try turning off your wireless Ethernet before you start. On a lot of systems, the wireless is found first if it is on.

Good Luck

MSnead,

Your new computer has different Ethernet hardware and it behaves differently. It seems like the order it finds the Ethernet port you are using is different than your old machine. Try turning off your wireless Ethernet before you start. On a lot of systems, the wireless is found first if it is on.

Good Luck

This is likely only an issue if using the "Windows Default" selection for the Ethernet/IP driver when designating which LAN connection to use.

But there is a setting in the Dell BIOS to disable the wireless connection when it detects a wired connection. Perhaps it will also turn off the wired connection if it detects a wireless connection. I doubt that, but it is worth checking. The Windows default SHOULD see a connection as disabled.

If you are using a wired and wireless connection, make sure they are on separate subnets.

Anytime there are issues with RSLinx and Ethernet, I always go back to ping. If ping cannot see your device, RSLinx won't see it either.

OG

Hi

I had a similar issue. I could not make the ETHIP to auto browse and populate
All the devices . Then I found that my LAN show two static ip, a second ip, 169.254.79.120,was shown when I did a ipconfig. I deleted this address then auto browse was enabled back..

If That helps...

Thought it's a little more work, another possible work around is to set up a tree of Ethernet (as opposed to Ethernet/IP) drivers in which you designate the IP address you're trying to connect with. If nothing else, it could be useful as a troubleshooting tool if you are able to communicate over Ethernet and not Ethernet/IP

Yes I suggest trying to make a new ETH driver (not Ethernet/IP). On my laptop, sometimes I can not see the PLC (ControlLogix) with an Ethernet/IP driver but see it fine with an Eth driver, I have not figured out why either. Hope this helps.