Siemens Profibus Repeater - meaning of LEDs.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

an overseas customer has a problem with a profibus network.
There is one master.
The network is segmented into two via a repeater (6ES7 972-0AA01-0XA0).
There is one slave on the other side of the repeater.
The slaves in the segment closest to the CPU work OK.
The slave on the far side of the repeater cannot be reached.
Bus speed is 1.5M.
The repeater has already been exchanged.
Terminators ought to be OK, unless the customer has messed them up.

Here is the question:
What does the light sequence of the repeaters diagnostic LEDs mean ?
One side is constantly ON. Other side is flashing.
Does the constant light mean OK comms ?
Does the flashing mean that there is some comms, but there is some kind of problem ? (= master connects to the other side, but the slave does not respond).
Or does the flashing mean that there is zero comms ? (= master does not connect to the other side of the repeater)

I have checked the manual. It says nothing about the LEDs.

THANKS.

Some day, I may be fortunate to afford a diagnostics repeater (6ES7 972-0AB01-0XXA0) like the one you linked to.

Until then I and my customer will have to do with a mere normal repater (6ES7 972-0AA01-0XA0). There are only two LEDs to indicate activity on either side of the repeater.

And I thought getting up at 05.00 and still being here at 19.00 was rough! From memory the LEDS on the repeater you have just show bus activity. But I cannot remember what means what. Would guess flashing means comm’s. Have they played with the terminators?