output to counter

roy bacon

Is it possible to program a plc to produce ten output pulses to a counter with only one input pulse? My resevoir is a 10 gallon tank and when it empties I'd like the counter which, increments by one, to show that 10 gallons have been used.

Thanks

Roy

Hi Roy, for sure this is possible. I would design a simple function that is triggered by your input. The function simply counts to ten and spits out a signal each count. Some kind of timer needs to drive the counter and that will determine the period and frequency of the output signal. If you need someone to write this for you let me know.
FF

Is there a need to have 10 counts when the resolution you are ultimately needing is a base of 10? In your application, the PLC can count tank cycles but why not just set a "preset" of 10 on a Count Up Counter that goes "done" when 10 tank cycles have completed? The "done" bit could then increment another counter that would count the number of "10s" that have lapsed. You could possibly also just use an arithemtic instruction to take the accumulated value of the counter and divide it by 10.
The first CTU would be incremented by some function. You would probably want a way to reset the whole shooting match, say like after tank cleaning :) There are many ways/ideas in which you could use a PLC in this application. Just some quicky thoughts.

roy bacon said:
Is it possible to program a plc to produce ten output pulses to a counter with only one input pulse? My resevoir is a 10 gallon tank and when it empties I'd like the counter which, increments by one, to show that 10 gallons have been used.

Thanks

Roy

Hi Roy,

Easiest way to do this is to trigger a counter circuit every
time you want to count 10. The counter you use should be set up
to count to twice the number you want to be displayed (in your
case 20). Use bit 0 of the counter accumulator to trigger the
output to the counter. I recommend pulsing the counter every 100
ms in order to insure that the output pulses to your counter
won't be too fast.

The reason that this will work is because the counter counts
in binary. When you examine bit 0 of the counter you'll see
that it toggles 10 times in 20 counts.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)

(Yosi)

Are you talking about an external counter or an internal counter?

If its an external counter then Bernie's solution is the simplest and cheapest and it's done all the time.

If its an internal counter then just multiply by 10.

Adding a zero to the right of the counter is certainly the easiest avenue. However, It doesn't do much for me in the way of thinking and learning more about programming the PLC, which of course, is a major concern for me. I may still use the technique...for now at least. That will expedite the project completion date and give me a chance to toy around with other cleaver, more involved methods of programming this function into my project.
Thanks
Roy

Use an adddition instruction. Just add ten every time the input pulses. What processor are you using?

Mickey said:
Use an adddition instruction. Just add ten every time the input pulses. What processor are you using?

That was my thought at first, but it sounds like he needs and output to pulse an external counter. Maybe I'm wrong.

dmroeder said:
That was my thought at first, but it sounds like he needs and output to pulse an external counter. Maybe I'm wrong.

You could be right. Alaric did ask that question.

The counter that I'd like to have display the actual number of gallons used is an external (visible to an observer) counter. As I replied to Bernie, I'll probably use his method for now because it is easy, quick etc., and implement another method be it triggering, arithmetic etc., once I've played with it off line a bit.

Thanks again