1734-VHSC24/C High Speed Counter Module – Setting Output Window On-Off Values

LochRaven

Does anyone know how to set the output window on-off values on the fly without having to inhibit the module? I could of sworn when I first started debug on this machine, that I did not have to inhibit the module to update output on-off values. Currently, when I update the window values via the ladder program, the module Output Configuration tab shows the values have been updated. But, the values won’t take effect until I inhibit the module and then re-enable the module.

Thanks for your help!

One of Rockwell's tech notes indicated that the module must be inhibited and re-enabled for the window on-off values to be updated. Unfortunately, the info was not in the manual. I got around not losing the encoder position by recording the encoder position prior to inhibiting the module and loading the encoder position into the counter Preset.

My understanding is that because those values are fed into a low-level microcontroller, you can't update them "on the fly". So the microcontrollers are set up when the Configuration assembly is sent to the module on startup, or when the connection is re-established (like after un-inhibiting).

The 1756 series modules support a "Reconfigure Module" type CIP message but I'm not sure it does the same thing with 1734 series modules.

Since inhibit/enable is done with SSVs and you have a working method, I suppose it's best to stick with it.

...and the module will not retain the on-off window values when the controller is powered down. Therefore, you must inhibit/enable the module on power-up to rewrite the on-off window values.

this thread is 18months old, did you successfully manage to load values into the output window on-off values without inhibiting module?

i have a cut to length application i am doing with a 1734-VHSC24 module at present and i am finding it "clunky" to load and then read back the values in those on/off values (by messaging) to ensure it was successfully written in. very unimpressed with this module.

Does anyone know how to set the output window on-off values on the fly without having to inhibit the module? I could of sworn when I first started debug on this machine, that I did not have to inhibit the module to update output on-off values. Currently, when I update the window values via the ladder program, the module Output Configuration tab shows the values have been updated. But, the values won’t take effect until I inhibit the module and then re-enable the module.

Thanks for your help!

The idea behind this song and dance is that the IO_Device:C array is used at the initiation of the connection Logix makes to the device to set its connected behavior.

By inhibiting the connection, then writing some values to IO_Device:C, and finally uninhibiting the connection, the device behaves like you expect.

this thread is 18months old, did you successfully manage to load values into the output window on-off values without inhibiting module?

i have a cut to length application i am doing with a 1734-VHSC24 module at present and i am finding it "clunky" to load and then read back the values in those on/off values (by messaging) to ensure it was successfully written in. very unimpressed with this module.

Being able to message the IO device in the first place is a treat.

With an AOI, you could make a gem out of your work (no sarcasm).