plc5-rslogix500

dkep96

I'm working on a machine that has an old Allen-Bradley controller. What does series 6200 software, and PLC-5 Programming Terminal Software mean? The controller consists of eight cards on a nine slot backplate: an adapter module, three input cards, three output cards and a 120 VAC power supply. I have been working with rslogix500 and am wondering how i would go about finding a compatible controller that supports that software; or what would be the recomended way to communicate with the controller? The product no. on the existing controller is 1771. I'm not to familiar with the PLC-5 line.

You need RSLogix5 (Very similar to Logix 500 for SLC's and Micrologix)

I think the 6200 is older dos software for plc3 and 5 but im not sure - before my time :)

before ab bought Icom, ab had their own version of software ( thge 6200 series) in various configurations.
rslogix500 replaced the slc500 version.
rslogix5 replaced the plc5 version.

in regards to the 1771 items. your description of what you have is
vague.
the left slot of the rack you are looking may be a plc 2/xx, plc3 or plc5xx. it will tell on the froint of the card.

if that card is connected to a big black box saying plc2/20 or 2/30 then you have a plc 2.

plc 2's are obsolete.
i am unsure of the plc3's

let us know what you have and we can proceede.

regards,
james

In addition to James's requests it will be helpful to know a few things about the chassis. Note the use of the word chassis as opposed to rack - and yes, it matters in the PLC/5. Most importantly is the addressing mode for which the chassis is configured, half slot, full slot, or two slot. You can download a manual for the chassis from the AB website literature library (use the catalog number to search for the rack) Are the input and output modules arranged as In, In, In, Out, Out, Out, or are they arranged In, Out, In, Out, In, Out, In, Out? Are any of the IO modules high density 32 point modules?

Yes, it would be very advantgaeous to document fully what you have while the machine is not being used.

That would include the whole part number and revision of the processor, and the dipswitch settings of the 1771 chassis, and any modules that it contains.

A PLC5 will have dipswitch settings for communication channels, and the backplane of the chassis will have dipswitch settings behind the processor that will help determine the addressing mode being used.

Any analog modules will have dipswitches that configre them and on some older analog modules they're hidden behind a cover.

Paul

504bloke said:
You need RSLogix5 (Very similar to Logix 500 for SLC's and Micrologix)

I think the 6200 is older dos software for plc3 and 5 but im not sure - before my time :)

Once you have Rslogix5 you will be able to work with the 6200 series documented program file, just open a new project as a AB 6200 series *.AF5 file

6200_af5.jpg

The thing is I don't think I have a processor. The cards from left to right are:
1)1771-ALX A
PLC5 LOCAL I/O
ADAPTER MODULE
2)1771-IBD/B
10 to 30 VDC INPUT
MODULE
3) and 4) are the same as 2)
5),6)1771-OAD
12-120V AC OUTPUT
MODULE
7) 1771-OW
Selectable Contact
OUTPUT MODULE
8) 1771-P4S
120V AC POWER SUPPLY MODULE

The chassis' cat. no. is 1771-A2B B

You're right, you don't have a processor. Is there another chassis somewhere with a processor? You would have to replace the ALX module with some sort of PLC-5 processor to get the system working. The ALX module needs to connect to a PLC-5 with a special cable, it is an "extended local I/O adapter".

Well the cable is there, it has just been severed from the processor. Should I simply get another PLC-5, or would it be easier and more economical to replace the 1771 with a model that supports rslogix500?

From what you describe it sounds like you only have part of a control system. What is this system supposed to do? Do you know or want to learn how to program it to do whatever it is supposed to do?

It sounds like you have logix 500 but not logix 5 is that correct? RS Logix 5 is expensive and PLC 5 processors are expensive. You could replace the adapter module with a processor and write a program for it but you are looking at somewhere near $7000.00 (WAG) for the software and a low end PLC 5 processor.

Without any more information you are probably best off to scrap what is there and start over IMO

The system controlled a case erector. What would I be looking at in terms of pricing for the PLC5 processor?

Where would you recommend I begin when starting over?

Is this a piece of equipment that was previously connected to a larger control system that you are trying to make stand alone? When PLCs were expensive some factories would put in just one PLC/5 and let it run everything that was nearby - The ALX modules were a nice to do this because you could power down and even disconnect the chassis without shutting down the entire system.

From the IO part numbers you have furnished you could economially replace the entire rack with a Micrologix - IF (big IF) you are now making this a standalone.

If that isn't the case and the PLC/5 is nearby then why not get it hooked back up?

Last edited:
dkep96 said:
The system controlled a case erector. What would I be looking at in terms of pricing for the PLC5 processor?

Where would you recommend I begin when starting over?
How elaborate of a set up for the Case Erector?
You can control one with a lot less powerfull hardware than a PLC5 for sure. Brick micro PLCs can work in your case with expansions cards.
It can't be that much that they do with it to utilize a PLC 5, can't just even begin to justify spending big bucks for a machine such as a Case Erector.

This machine was purchased at auction. I have little to no knowledge of what it was doing previously, but I am attempting to make it stand alone. Eventually it will be tied in with a baig filler, bag dump, and case sealer. I didn't realize the MicroLogix series was that large?