AIN/AEX Help

dd40001

Hello, I am very new with PLCs. I am working with a autmation direct dl06. I am working on a project to recieve barcodes from a Metrolgoc MK7210. I have it wired right and have checked to make sure I have the right input from hyper terminal. I am having trouble getting the values to go into vmem of the plc. I am trying to code it using the memory example in the back of the book(http://www.geocities.com/dd40001/image.JPG). I am watching the status and nothing is changing.

I have the port settings in non-sequence, I don't know if this will make a difference or not.

Any help is very greatly appreciated

Also this is my AIN configuration

Port Number:K2
Data Destination:V2000
Interchar Timeout: 500 ms
First Char Timeout: 2000 ms
Byte Swap: All but Null
Termination Code(s): 0D
Overflow Error:C4
Busy C0
Complete:C1
Interchar. Timeout Error:C2