Solution for water formed inside control panel?

flyers

Hi guys,

I've come across a client site where the stainless steel control panel is located in an air condition area (commercial kitchen). Due to the BMS, the air cond in that area is ON for 12 hours (18-22 degree) and OFF for 12 hours (23 - 28 degree).

Due to this operation , there is a water formed inside the control panel. The control panel is about 3feet height and 1.5 feet width, 1 feet depth. with PLC, MCB, timer, relays & contactor. The screw for the PLC connector will get rusted after some time (maybe due the dampness). The PLC IO modules will get shorted very fast too.

I taught of a solution which is putting an exhaust fan (4") at the top of the panel door and another exhaust hole at the lower part of the panel door to make the inner control panel temperature same as outter. Not sure how efficient is this.

Anyone has any better idea? Thank you.

We use anti condensation heaters in all of our cabinets mounted outside and inside in some areas. These operate of off a thermostat, not sure who's we use but Phoenix or Rittal would be a good starting point.

Chees
Peter

Two quick suggestions and I'm guessing the temperature is in centigrade not farhrenheit degrees.
1. If you have a source of dry or very low humidity air you could slightly pressurize the panel with it to purge the moisture.
2. If that is not available perhaps you could put a small heater that is thermostaticly controlled inside the cabinet to raise the internal temperature somewhat which would lower the relative humidity.

Unless the room conditions are always at a non-condensing level (no steam or fog) then the fan and vent probably won't help.

Cocerning #2 suggestion: I just saw Freak's post and I see he and I said about the same thing.

Last edited:
You might be able to just get away with putting a fan inside the cabinet without any vents. Just keeping the air moving around may be enough.

I know it may be kind of cheap why but...

Put a thermostat inside that turns on an incandescent light bulb, the bulb will burn up the humidity in the cabinet.... living in the south you have to learn how to deal with life in cheap ways (showing my red neck side :) ) my friend Philip would be proud :) hey Philip are you still out there? hows the nuke plant treating you?

Last edited:
I can be cheaper than geniusintraining.
If you cant see how the water gets in, then find the deepest point of the water and drill a 6 mm hole to let it out.
If that still does not stop water accumulating then try the lamp idea as well.

If you're drilling holes and/or putting Fans etc in Cabinets, you need to make sure you're not compromising the IP rating of the enclosure. If it's in a food prep area, you may get people with water hoses enthusiastically splashing water all over the place as they clean up.

If it's only a bit of nuisance condensation put a 'closet camel' or something similar inside the enclosure and change them out a regular intervals. If it's a bigger problem than that, go for the anti-condensation heaters.

Tim.

Cheap solution, I have used in the past in many different food prep environments.

Drill hole for 6mm air fitting, using this hole pull down slightly to make this the lowest point of cabinet ( ie. to ensure it will drain to this point). Fit 6mm air fitting. Put approximately 100 mm (4 inches) of clear plastic tube into the fitting (ensure this tube does not drip anywhere it shouldn't).

The cabinet will drain easily, by adding approx 100mm of tube ensures that during a wash down that water does not re enter the cabinet.

Just my 2c worth.