Ethernet/IP to BacNet/IP solution

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have a customer who wishes to to display some of the information from their refrigeration plant (CompactLogix PLC on Ethernet/IP) on their BMS (BacNet IP). They have an Ignition SCADA system and we had planned to use the built-in BacNet drivers, but it turns out they're unidirectional and only support data transfer from BacNet > Ignition, and not from Ignition > BacNet.

I figure we'll need to use a hardware solution instead, and my intial research has led me to find:
Prosoft PS-QS-2x10-F
HMS Networks Intesis INBACEIP1K20000
Real Time Automation 460ETCB

I've used a predecessor of the Prosoft module in this application several years ago, and while I found the configuration somewhat opaque and cumbersome (excel? really?), it has proven very reliable. I've not used anything from HMS Networks or RTA before, though I've seen them recommended on this forum before.

Does anyone have any insight/recommendations into the three options above? Or any other hardware/software solution recommendations?

I have used the Intesis one several times now (and HMS before they were bought out). Pretty simple to set up and program - just have to make sure you use the right data types to suit the BACnet people. I used binary bit and there server had trouble with it - had to change them to binary input I think it was - some time ago. I would use the device again.

Thanks Bob, appreciate the tip! Any idea who the Australian distributor is these days?

I used RTA. It worked really well, was simple and easy to configure and it was recommended by the BACnet engineer that was setting up the Building Automation System.
You can import and export tags from Rockwell which I thought was nice.
Lastly they had good customer service; answered the phone with a live voice. Hope this helps.

Codesys would also be a solution, they have a BacNet Client and Server, and Ethernet Scanner/Adapter.

I guess there's a 30 minute trial, to try before you buy.

edit:
setting up bacnet
https://faq.codesys.com/display/CDSFAQ/CODESYS+BACnet

comms with Rockwell, you have either https://github.com/NothinRandom/CoDeSys_EIP

or use the CODESYS provided Ethernet/IP Scanner, with Alfredo and I's code from a while back:
https://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=868578&postcount=74

Or, you can just set up CODESYS as an Ethernet Adapter and add it as IO to the Logix 5K project (Recommended, when there's only one Logix 5K)

Last edited:
Lot easier than Red Lion for mine by the way.
Yeah, my experience with Red Lion is that they do a lot of stuff - they can solve just about any problem - but their execution is always about 95%.

Thanks for the vote of confidence for RTA as well @saultgeorge and @g.mccormick

We have used several RTA protocol conversion on various projects and have had great success.