ControlLogix 5000 Maintenance

Viks

Hi guys,
I'm still new to this forum and also new to the PLC world but learning my way forward as this is the only way be become a profesional in the automated world. I work as an Electrician for a company which manufactures various paper products and we have a ControlLogix 5555 controller which automates most of our operations on our plant. We are having a two day shutdown and i was just wondering what are the important checks that needs to be carried out on the PLC during maintenance.As I've mentioned we deal with tissue o the environment is really dusty sometimes.I would appreciate all the help I can get.Thanks in advance.........

Cheers,

Viks........

welcome to the forum.

if the inside of the panel is full of dust, remove the cards and check to make sure they are free form dust, if not blow them with dry compressed air, this will help with heat dissipation.

check connections on any I/O cards for loose cables

that is all i can really think of just now.

cheers

myles

We have found that some terminations have worked loose over time.
As recommended by our reliability group, we take opportunities (such as outages) to go through and make sure that wires are properly secured in terminal blocks.

As for what else we do ...
Clean out the cabinets
Change air filters
Change PLC battery (if lifecycle has determined as necessary)

If you have time, you could even put a scope on your power supplies as predictive maintenance to assess if the power supply is creating noise.

The 5555 family of PLCs has a notoriously low battery life. Make sure you upload from the PLC a current copy of the PLC program and change the battery. Make sure you order a new battery in advance.

Thanks alot Guys,I have some new stuff today.I already have a backup of the current program and I'll carry out the other checks as i get back to work tomorrow again.Thanks again to all of you friends!!

Cheers,

Viks

Viks said:
Thanks alot Guys,I have some new stuff today.I already have a backup of the current program and I'll carry out the other checks as i get back to work tomorrow again.Thanks again to all of you friends!!

Cheers,

Viks

I would still get a copy of the program immediately before you update the battery so that you have a current image of the program AND the contents of the tag database.

I would still get a copy of the program immediately before you update the battery so that you have a current image of the program AND the contents of the tag database.
You can't always get a shutdown at the allotted time for a battery replacement. And I don't see the need for a shutdown to change the battery. In these circumstances, I would make the program and data backup as described, but I would just change the battery without powering down or removing the controller from the chassis. You can't put the plug in the wrong way round, its just damn fiddly to do (long-nosed pliers and a torch helps, and the processor doesn't complain about a new battery being fitted. To be 100% certain I would also put whatever is being controlled into a "safe" state, whatever is programmed into the machine/process.

daba said:
You can't put the plug in the wrong way round, its just damn fiddly to do (long-nosed pliers and a torch helps, ...

On our side of the pond we don't generally think of this as a torch
Surefire-Torch-%7C-Surefire-G3-flashlight.jpg

A torch is one of these:
400px-Cutting_torch.jpg

Which makes this post particularly funny because the battery connector can indeed take a bit of fiddling to remove and re-insert. Yea, that'll get that damned battery out of there....
🍺

Ah, but you knew what I meant....

.... I guess you'd call our torch a Flashlight, which of course we use to take photographs in low light !

I don't know, we give you guys a perfectly good language, and what do you do with it.....

I don't know, we give you guys a perfectly good language, and what do you do with it.....
Daba,
Battery-powered hand-held portable lights were not invented at the time you gave us the language, so we had to improvise....:whistle:

Just out of curiosity, because you call flashlight a torch, what do you call an oxygen-acetylene gas metal-cutting device?

Besides, I think it was invented on this side of the pond--shouldn't the inventor get to name it?

Quotes from this site:
http://spislandbreeze.com/ideas_more.php?id=532_0_12_0_M

The first flashlight consisted of a crude cardboard tube, light bulb, brass parabolic reflector and a battery. Because batteries were weak and bulbs primitive, flashlights of the era produced only a brief flash of light—hence the name.
But a portable hand torch, as the British call the light, was not what Joshua L. Cowen had in mind when he designed a safety fuse to ignite photographic flash powder: The precursor to the modern flash bulb. The new “flash-light,” was a financial failure as an aid to photographers.

It was too cumbersome to use.

However, the U.S. Navy bought the fuses to use with underwater explosives, and Cowen was able to recoup his initial investment.

Cowan next invented a decorative lighting fixture for potted plants. The invention consisted of a metal tube with a light bulb and a dry cell battery that could run the light for 30 days.

It flopped, as well.

In 1896, Cowan sold his company and patents to Conrad Hubert who early on became aware of the novelty item side of the electric industry and the tremendous profits to be gained. Hubert named his new company American Electrical Novelty & Manufacturing Company.

In 1897, Hubert recognized the potential of the flashlight and hired inventor David Misell, who had patented a portable electric lamp in 1895 and an early bicycle head lamp in 1896. Misell and Hubert assembled a number of tubular flashlights and gave them to New York City policemen in different precincts.

They began receiving favorable testimonials from the policemen.

In 1906, National Carbon Company, which supplied Hubert’s company with materials for their flashlights, bought a half interest in the company for $200,000. Hubert remained president but the name of the company was changed to “The American Ever Ready Company.”

Flashlight technology leaped forward around 1910 with the introduction of a nickel-plated tube and the invention of the tungsten filament bulb. Pocket-sized tungsten flashlights and search lanterns quickly became household items.

According to an Eveready brochure called “101 Uses for An Eveready,” the flashlight had become an essential personal item by 1916. “The light that does not flicker in a draught, extinguish in the wind, and is controlled instantly by finger pressure. It’s the light everyone needs,” the advertisement read.

The military found that the flashlight proved useful for reading maps in darkness and signaling with Morse code.

In search of a unique name for its flashlight, National Carbon Company held a contest in 1917. By contest’s end, more than 530,000 suggestions had been made. Four contestants received $3,000 each for their submissions of the acronym DAYLO.

DAYLO couldn’t be mispronounced, was easy to remember and suggested the use of flashlights. “Day” suggested perfect light and “lo” meant “behold” or “see.”

But the DAYLO name never caught on and was quietly discontinued after 1922.

Conrad Hubert became a multi-millionaire while Joshua Lionel Cowen finally achieved the success he really wanted. He invented toy trains in 1900 and started Lionel Model Trains.

Today, flashlights have evolved into the emergency tool of choice carried by policemen, utility workers, campers and fishermen alike.

Last edited: