Panelview+ woes

parky

I have a pv+600 connected to compact lgx 32e + 1500LRP, on a number of occassions have modified the code & downloaded the mer file only problems are have to delete files on startup, however just made a small change (changed one of the login passwords), if I replace original mer file I get the message BMV nothing to activate & it shuts down.
Have found if I go into shortcuts & set it to clr_plc (this is the logix 32e on ethernet) it will then get passed the "BMV" message but then gives message Tag contains an expression error then shuts down alarms & goes to onfig.
The apa file has not changed except for the password change in security any ideas?
The only other thing is I duplicate the original & change the code in that rather than destroy the original, also noticed when I do this I have to import the rslinx config as it doesn't seem to copy this.

parky said:
I have a pv+600 connected to compact lgx 32e + 1500LRP, on a number of occassions have modified the code & downloaded the mer file only problems are have to delete files on startup, however just made a small change (changed one of the login passwords), if I replace original mer file I get the message BMV nothing to activate & it shuts down.
Have found if I go into shortcuts & set it to clr_plc (this is the logix 32e on ethernet) it will then get passed the "BMV" message but then gives message Tag contains an expression error then shuts down alarms & goes to onfig.
The apa file has not changed except for the password change in security any ideas?
The only other thing is I duplicate the original & change the code in that rather than destroy the original, also noticed when I do this I have to import the rslinx config as it doesn't seem to copy this.

How are you duplicating the original ?

Be aware you cannot simply just copy and paste the .med project files, you must use Application Manager for such tasks. Coping the .apa file is OK because you still need to restore the archive file to the .med format before re-opening it.

Used the app. manager to copy the file, I beleive it may be something to do with the comms, however not had time to do any tests, typical rockwell, no info on the BMV message & no info on the tag error, however the tag error does appear to be some tags that copy data from the 1500 & populate the clx, there are 2 links one to 1500 & ethernet to the clx.
Still waiting reply from Rockwell, the knowledge base has pages of problems with PV+, never known such a problematic, slow, poorly documented system that's too complicated for a simple HMI.
Beats Siemens hands down & most people think that is bad.

Since you are using passwords. IF THIS IS VERSION 4.x or LATER.

Did you notice when you went to import the ".apa" file into Studio that it asked some dangerous sounding question like Do you want to over write the local FactoryTalk directory? If I remember I think you have to tell it yes. When you create a user it assigns that user a GUID (globally unique ID) and if your PC was not the original PC that the runtime file was created on it will not have that critical security information embedded in it for that user and the new runtime you create can act flaky, if it even works at all. There may be some security technotes for this on the knowledge base.

Darren

I have found the problem, when I copy or retrieve the archive it does not copy the communications shortcuts, I had to import from the original project, the thing that threw me was although at first the error on the panelview was BMV nothing to activate (assume this means no comms) even rockwell did not tell me this one?.

as there was the original project on the panelview, you could select a shortcut (don't ask me how?.

As this project talks to 2 plc's one on ethernet & the other 232, there are 2 comms settings there is also some macros where data is patched from one set of tags to other.

The Error in tag message etc. must be that the shortcut for one of the plc's did not exist thus the error in data for the tag.

The shutdown of paneview without any info on what tags, shortcuts is a bit of a useless message.

At least something like Shortcut "PLC1" does not exist or error in maths using tagxxx would be more useful.

Think it's time to change them for beijers, boot faster, cheaper cheaper software by a mile & you don't have to trawl though hundreds of faq's with god knows how many version updates or wait for rockwell for a week or pay high tech connect contracts.

parky said:
Think it's time to change them for beijers, boot faster, cheaper cheaper software by a mile & you don't have to trawl though hundreds of faq's with god knows how many version updates or wait for rockwell for a week or pay high tech connect contracts.

I use RL G3's for this reason unless its specified. UK support is about as good as a chocolate teapot especially if you have not got a tech connect even if you have just spent over £10K with them!