PLC Communication to Computer

Hi all...I am currently a student working on a technical thesis project. Our group is attempting to set-up our Allen-Bradley RS5000 PLC to be capable of communication with our computer through an ethernet connection.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

What PLC are you connecting to?
Do you have RSLogix 5000 programming software? What Version?
Do you have RSLinx? What version?
Is this a brand new processor, or is it already setup?

Allen-Bradley Compact logix L32E
RS5000 v 2.52
RSLinx Gateway
No the processor is not set up. Software is installed, however we can not seem to get it to communicate with the PLC.

Thank you for attempting to help and any information that you need please feel free to ask.

Did you configure an "Ethernet devices" or "Ethernet/IP Driver" driver yet in RSLinx? If so, does the L32E show up in the RSWho window?

I believe the version of Linx is 2.52, Logix5000 would have a version like 15.xx or 16.xx

I would assign an IP address first thing because it comes by default as 0.0.0.0. Plug in your ethernet cable (with a switch in between) and open the bootP utility. Sometimes it's quickest to cycle power after you plug in so that you receive bootP requests. Assign the IP address (make it similar to the one on you computer. If you don't know much about IP addresses, we may need a longer discussion on that topic.

Once the address is assigned, you need to load the firmware. You use control flash for this. This can be done via the serial port, but it's wicked slow. Ethernet is preferred. DO NOT POWER DOWN UNTIL THE FIRMWARWE IS COMPLETE. You will make youself a $2500 coaster if you do.

Once the firmware is complete then you need to add an ethernet driver in Linx. There are two ones you can add. Ethernet Devices will allow you to add each address that you want to communicate. Ethernet IP will scan everything on your subnet and find ethernet IP devices (other PLC's, drives, ect). I prefer to use Ethernet Devices because on large networks, you can see a lot of stuff.

Thanks for your help but currently here at the school we need to correct a problem with the administration before we may proceed.

We will attempt the steps that you provided us when we get the opportunity.

Thanks again and hopefully if we run into further problems, you will be online to offer further advice.

I'm pretty much a mallrat of the internet, so I will probably be here to help some more.

Good luck and be sure to post back your outcome. Often times people take advice and never reply. Losers like myself always want to know how things turn out. And others with a similar problem may read this thread and want to know if everything worked out.

Thanks again. And we have solved our school administration problem and our group is back at it again today. Hoping for some more insight.

When we run our program for our PLC, we get a signal from our analog input, however we do not get any signal from our analog output. We are using a move instruction with the source being local:4:I.CH0data and our destination is local:3:O.CH0data.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Analog input module 1769IF4 and Analog output module is 1769OF2.

But I was just curious as what you mean by configuration?

Thank you for your response

Double click on the module in the I/O configuration. This will bring up the module properties. Third tab over is the configuration. The channels are disabled by default