Question on Degree's

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have recently made my way from Programming/Maintenance into Manufacturing Engineering. I have been there go to guy in a lot of cases and always bail them out of trouble when they need it. I am the first person they have hired into the Engineering Department without a Bachelors Degree. They are now urging me to get my BS degree but the 4 year colleges around my area don't offer a lot of night classes. So my question is, Are they just looking for that BS symbol on paper even if it's from DeVry University Online instead of a MSU, U of M, or even an EasternMichiganUniversity (which is where I was leaning)

Doesn't seem like 4 year colleges are very helpfull to the working person :(

Thanks for you input,

-Joel

Last edited:
If you are seriously considering getting an engineering degree get it from a ABET accredited university. See www.abet.org to find a place near you.

The only online ABET accredited engineering program that I am aware of is offered by the University of North Dakota:

http://www.conted.und.edu/ddp/dedp/

But it isn't cheap due to out-of-state tuition.

If you're employer would pay the majority of the costs, and you know you'll stay employed there long term, I'd say go for it.

If they are not willing to pay for it, I don't think it makes finacial sense to pay for other non-ABET accredited online "engineering" programs.

If they are really supportive of you going back to get your degree, and there is a local university would it be possible to change your working hours to accommodate the university schedule?

Last edited: