Have I been asleep or is this a new feature?

Depending on what you mean by new feature, AOIs have been available since V16, they are availalbe in Ladder, FB, and ST.

AOIs can also be written in a different language than they are used in.

For example, I wrote my own AOI for a specialized hydraulic piston axis in ST, but use the AOI in ladder.

In another instance I have a non-linear input (non standard thermocouple) that I scaled using a polynomial in a subroutine in pre V16 apps. Now I have an AOI, written in ST, that I put on a FB sheet and connect directly to the PIDE PV input.

Thanks, the Alaric Alarm just went off.

Alaric said:
Depending on what you mean by new feature, AOIs have been available since V16, they are availalbe in Ladder, FB, and ST.
Yes, that is what I meant.

For example, I wrote my own AOI for a specialized hydraulic piston axis in ST, but use the AOI in ladder.
That is exactly what I should have done a year or more ago when V16 came out. I should write it once so my customers don't need to re-invent the wheel.

I must have been taking a geezer nap.

Yes, you can use function blocks in the ladder logic. Create a new Add-on Instruction as a function block. Then you can use this new instruction in your ladder.

Alaric said:
AOIs can also be written in a different language than they are used in.
I wouldn't say you were taking a geezer nap Peter. Or at least I was partially asleep with you. I have used the AOI, but it didn't occur to me that I could write an FB AOI and execute it with Ladder

Thanks Alaric

Peter Nachtwey said:
That is exactly what I should have done a year or more ago when V16 came out. I should write it once so my customers don't need to re-invent the wheel.

I must have been taking a geezer nap.

Yabbut your hydraulic piston axis AOI will probably be more sophisticated than mine is and it'll probably do more and do it better.

But you wrote yours first

Alaric said:
Yabbut your hydraulic piston axis AOI will probably be more sophisticated than mine is and it'll probably do more and do it better.
So what does yours do?

I was thinking about something that helps people download cam tables define some UDTs that define the cam table header. The controller itself doesn't need any help from the PLC.