who handles software

jimcav

i have a question for everyone, who takes care of your plc, touchscreen and various software, you or the IT department?
and who do you think should handle it?

my IT department thinks PLCs are toys, that persons thinks he can program them with his eyes closed, i would bet that he would not even be able to get on line.

You mean they are not one and the ssame???? I must be working the wrong place. Seriously though any honest IT tech knows not to touch a PLC

I do (Senior Maintenance Mechanic)!!! As far as I know, I am the only person, outside of management, that the IT Dept. has given administrator priveleges to. IT knows that PLC's are out of their league and they have no desire to get involved with them.

I do, our IT dept. don't touch any of our plc's , or for that matter any of our SCADA pc's. Which is the way we want to keep it. Recently we upgraded oue SCADA system and as part of the upgrade our IT had to deploy "thin" clients in the coporate area. In their own words " they do not see this as critical, their main function is to provide support for business critical applications such as Outlook, Word etc. I'm not it all IT dept's but this particular one seems to have a different set of priorities to the rest of us.

Here at our plant the line between IT and Controls is thin, but is there. (I will keep from ranting...)

IT handles the SE Server and we handle all the clients. IT handles Transaction Manager and we handle all the PLC's.

I think it would be great if we had access to the servers to see what is going on most of the time. Usually we have to wait for IT to settle their other 'major issues' before they get to us (IE: lunch).

Okay, I better stop before ranting...

jimcav said:
i have a question for everyone, who takes care of your plc, touchscreen and various software, you or the IT department?
and who do you think should handle it?

1) Me.
2) Me.

72hdflh said:
I do (Senior Maintenance Mechanic)!!! As far as I know, I am the only person, outside of management, that the IT Dept. has given administrator priveleges to.

That is the way it should be for PC savvy controls engineers who must be able to run mission critical software in the real world. Our IT department takes images of our desktops, and provides us with a great LAN and internet access/virus protection, and a few minimal policies, but we are admins for our desktops and control system network servers, laptops too.

Paul

Our department used to take care of it (EE). Now our IT department does. For many, many years it was all taken care of by one guy in our department, but since we went to Rockwell tool-kits, it has been turned over to IT. If I had to guess, we have about 30 PC's that require Rockwell software (between the EE departments, commissioning PC's and service people)

I know of a guy who is a joiner to trade (carpenter), done a summer coarse on IT and was IT Technician on a Food Factory, he then started dabbling in SCADA and PLC and is now Plant Automation Engineer.....AKA "The Chancer".

Good if you want a wooden Control cabinet made but he's stumped when it comes to pointers and arrays lol.

Good at everything but an expert at nothing!!!