S7 200 programming

oyb_71

i've been asked to look at a machine that uses a old 1st gen S7 216, the PLC doesn't seem to be operating correctly and may need replacing. i'm fairly new to PLC's and programming and have a lot to learn, i was wondering if i'd be able to use the program from the older PLC in a newer gen S7 226 PLC without any problems or having to tweak it in anyway, would this be ok?

I think you will find the best way is to copy and past...

Don't just try and change the program, I found it eaiser to copy the rungs and paste them in the newer PLC... but you need to make sure that you are going to the same amount of I/O's, so if you have a 10in and 8out, then you need to have the same or more

I am SURE there is an easier way, but I liked doing it that way as I was able to get familiar with the program and learn the logic a little bit, it made it easier for debuging

thx for the reply,

yup thats the plan to get a model with the same amount of I/O's and i will basically replace the older PLC, wiring the new one up exactly as the old one was. then i'll make a new project in syswin for the newer CPU and copy/paste the program into it, hopefully this works as the program is a bit way over my head at the moment, it was written by someone thats been doing this kind of stuff for 10+ years. couldn't see myself writing a program like this anytime soon lol

oyb_71 said:
thx for the reply,

yup thats the plan to get a model with the same amount of I/O's and i will basically replace the older PLC, wiring the new one up exactly as the old one was. then i'll make a new project in syswin for the newer CPU and copy/paste the program into it, hopefully this works as the program is a bit way over my head at the moment, it was written by someone thats been doing this kind of stuff for 10+ years. couldn't see myself writing a program like this anytime soon lol
I might be missing something here, but in your first post you mentioned upgrading from a S7 216 to a S7 226. You say you will make a new project in syswin, the problem being that syswin software is for the older type of Omron PLC's