Tag export from CITECT

IainH

I know it works (sometimes :whistle: ) as I've done it before - but never reliably!

I'm trying to export the Variable Tags from a Citect project to a CSV file. I create a Tags.csv file, bring up the "Export Variable Tags" window and fill in the appropriate boxes:

Database Type: CSV Driver
External Database: C:\Tags.csv

and click EXPORT, only to be told that Citect was unable to open the database. o_O

As I said, I have had this problem before, but I have also had success before so I know that somehow it can be done.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,

Iain

I dont know why you need to export to CSV but why cant you just copy the native variable.dbf fil, save a copy and edit it the way you need it to look ?

OK, thanks, I'll give that a go. Meanwhile, to answer my own question 👨🏻‍🏫, it looks like I need to specify the output device before anything else and don't select Delete existing tags - they get deleted after the new ones have been written, so the new ones get deleted too :cry:

Iain

Hi,

The main reason why you can't modify the variable.dbf file is that Citect will not be able to use it after the modification. Somehow the software doesn't support direct modifications to that file.

There is a tool called IP Advanced Project Editor, which can be used to modify the tag database. See with your Citect supplier if he can get it for you. I downloaded it from the website but you must have access to the MyCitect Support area to be able to get it. It may help you.

For the export, I did it also a long time ago, and I know it is very difficult to make it work. I know I had to change things in my regional settings. It has something to do with the list separator, if my memory is right...

I hope this helps.

Marie

If you want a copy of variables.dbf, open it with Excel using "Files of type" dbf. Then you can save as whatever you want. Whatever you do don't save back to the original variables.dbf as you could corrupt the database.
In the bin directory there is a excel instance called SAVE_DBF.XLS which is an excel spreadsheet with macros to enable a reworked variables.dbf to be saved in the correct format. You should search the knowledge base to see how to use it as it is an extremely useful tool.

Dua Anjing said:
Be careful with SAVE_DBF.XLS Ive been told there are issues with using it in the latest version of excel.

Thankfully my company are still running Excel 97 so SAVE_DBF.XLS works a treat!

At last I am able to list and sort all the tags that have been added over the years - and find the next available address when adding new tags (y)

Thanks,

Iain

I dont even work with the Citect tag interface form, it is woefully inadequate for anything above 10 tags !!

I just use Excel and SAVE_DBF, if i need to do some sorting or build a new tag name using a formula i just copy the cells out of the *.dbf into a new excel form, manipulate and paste the values back into the *.dbf file.

just be sure to have a good backup of your project as even a mouse click in the wrong place can screw the Citect *.dbf files !!

tragically1969 said:
....just be sure to have a good backup of your project as even a mouse click in the wrong place can screw the Citect *.dbf files !!

Much the same as working with the Citect tag interface form :eek: