rslogix500 please help

Heres the problem,I work at paramounts kings island and work in Tech Services. I maintain all the electronic games in the park and they use old school technology, using timers and relays and printed circuit boards made before I was even born!, Time to upgrade! this old way is so costly, replacing relays and timers and circuit boards and our downtime is approx. 25%, now my boss doesnt like the idea of using a micrologix1000 to operate the games, but she is gone on vacation for a week and i want to prove her wrong by completely refiting one of the games while she is gone, but the only other guy in the shop thats trained with rslogix500 is also on vacation. So I know a little bit, but not much the only thing I dont understand is how the ton's and tof's work, sounds funny but i cant figure it out please help

Last edited:
THis is from RSLogix500 Help/SLC Instruction Set
Use the TON instruction to turn an output on or off after the timer has been on for a preset time interval. This output instruction begins timing (at either one second or one hundredth of a second intervals) when its rung goes "true." It waits the specified amount of time (as set in the PRESET), keeps track of the accumulated intervals which have occurred (ACCUM), and sets the DN (done) bit when the ACCUM (accumulated) time equals the PRESET time.

As long as rung conditions remain true, the timer adjusts its accumulated value (ACC) each evaluation until it reaches the preset value (PRE). The accumulated value is reset when rung conditions go false, regardless of whether the timer has timed out.

Instruction bits: 13 = DN (done)
14 = TT (timer timing bit)
15 = EN (enable bit)

If power is lost while a TON is timing but has not reached its preset value, the EN, and TT bits remain set , and the accumulated value (ACCUM) remains the same. This is also true if the processor changes from the REM Run or REM Test mode to the REM Program mode.

If either the Accumulator or the Preset is negative when the TON instruction is executed on a true rung, a Major Fault (0034) is generated.

Note If the rung goes "false" (loses logical continuity) during the timing process, the accumulated value is reset, and the DN, EN, and TT bits all reset whether or not the timer has reached the PRESET value.
Warning! Timing could be inaccurate if JMP, LBL, JSR, or SBR instructions skip over the rung containing a timer instruction while the timer is timing.

Basically its a timer that when the rung goes true starts timing, when it reaches the preset value it stops and latches a done bit. I dont know of a better way to explain it than Rockwell has.

Use the TOF instruction to turn an output on or off after its rung has been off for a preset time interval. The TOF instruction begins to count timebase intervals when the rung makes atrue-to-false transition. As long as rung conditions remain false, the timer increments its accumulated value (ACC) each scan until it reaches the preset value (PRE).

The Accumulated value is reset when rung conditions go true regardless of whether the timer has timed out.

TON: Say condition 'A' operates a timer. Whenever 'A' is off, the done bit is off. The .DN (done) bit of the timer comes on a certain time after 'A' has been maintained true. Think of the done bit as 'A, delayed'. The done bit referred to in AB's explanation is the thing that can "turn an output on or off."

TOF: Condition 'B' operates an off delay timer. Whenever 'B' is true (ON) the timer is reset (done bit ON). Some time after 'B' goes FALSE the done bit, 'B delayed' will also go false. As soon as 'B' goes true again, so does the done bit.

TT (timer timing): True when the timer is enabled and has not yet reached preset. Worded another way it's - timer enabled and not done.

Does this help?

Re: Amusement Park

Hi Pkitech,

Just as a matter of interest, I've always wondered what it would be to work at a amusement park. Can you give us some insight.

Thanks

well sometimes it can be very hectic. people are paging you like crazy to get stuff fixed and then something else happens and they expect you to come there first. just crazyness sometimes then on slow days we would sit in the shop all day with out a single call we play videogames watch movies we are allowed to do just about anything we want to do just as long as we respond to service calls. its fun to go to the rides and flirt with the really attractive rides girls and sometimes when are boss is off we usually hang out at the waterpark with our refelective sunglasses, overall its great! when we are loaded with work our boss is so nice she usually brings us food from the park's food locations when we dont have a chance to get lunch, we get 4 free tickets for our friends every 40 hours we work and other great benefits. and its great in the mornings before the park opens because we like to just drive around inside the park and be stupid like burnouts in front of ride entrances to see what customers say later in the day we get away with so much pranks and other stuff as long as it does not create a safety issue.

this is what i need to know: lets say i want to have this timer count to ten i need to now what values to put in the timer on delay window as far as timer, time base, preset, accum.
thanks for all your help so far

Last edited:
Example
TON (Timer On Delay)
Timer T4:1
Time base 0.01; 0.1; 1 - incrementing interval
Preset any value (100)
Accum 0

If the input conditions go true , Timer T4:1 starts incrementing in 0.01 or 0.1 second intervals (time base). Accumulated value will start to increase, when the accumulated value will reach preset value (100) , the timer stops and sets the timer Done Bit (DN).
For more info open Help in RSLogix 500, you'll find everything what you need.
Vufu
P.S. Don't try to be a superman if you deal with people safety.

Last edited:
no this is for a skill game, the guys that program the slc500's for the rides have been certified by rockwell software training school and have doing this for at least 5 years they have quite a bit of experience. that is a diferent dept. in the park, electricians are the ones who take care of the rides we take care of the audio,annimation,registers,tolls,games,and security systems and audio visual systems

pk...
Timer: is the ID of the timer, type in T4 and it will prompt you with the next available unused timer number. Each timer has a place in the data table reserved for it's use. You cannot use the same timer (ID)at more than one location within the ladder. Time Base: is the duration of each timed pulse in seconds. Three choices: .001 or .01 or 1.0, depending upon how precise or short the timing has to be. For this example we'll use 1.0 which means 1 second per increment. Preset: is the time you set for your needs. When the timer has reached this number the DN bit will close and activate whatever rung(s) the contacts are on. Again for this example we'll use 60 as the preset. Lastly is Accum: this is the accumulated value of the timed interval at any given time prior to reaching preset. If the rung ahead of the time is interrupted the time will stop and you'd see the value it was at. So in this example the timer would count to 60 seconds, then the DN bit would close.

ed said:
Lastly is Accum: this is the accumulated value of the timed interval at any given time prior to reaching preset. If the rung ahead of the time is interrupted the time will stop and you'd see the value it was at

With a retentive timer (RTO), that is true, but with a 'regular' timer (TON, TOF), the accumulator value gets reset to zero when rung conditions go false.

To further confuse you pkitech... Here's yet ANOTHER explanation... 👨🏻‍🏫

TIMER: The 'address' of the timer. The 'default' place for timers is in file #4, so in the TIMER box, you'd put "T4:n" (without the quotes, of course). The 'n' can be any number from 0 to 255, but you can only use each number once. So, let's say you choose "T4:1". Now the timer has an 'address'. If you want to know when the timer expires, you could use a Normally Open contact ---] [--- (XIC in A-B speak), and specify T4:1/DN as the address. The /DN means look at the "DONE" bit of T4:1. The "DONE" bit turns ON when the timer has reached the preset value.

TIME BASE: How 'precise' the timing will be. This can be 1.000, 0.01, or 0.001. Basically, it's the multiplication factor of the preset value. Let's say you enter a preset value of "1000". If the timebase is "1.00" (IOW, a 1 second timebase), then the timer would be set to 1000 x 1.00, or 1000 seconds. With a timebase of "0.01" (IOW, a 10 millisecond timebase), the timer would be set to 1000 x 0.01, or 10.00 (10 seconds). With a timebase of 0.001 (IOW, a 1 millisecond timebase), the timer would be set to 1000 x 0.001, or 1.000 (1 second)

PRESET: Basically just that, the preset for the timer. I kinda explained what the 'preset' means in my "TIME BASE" description

ACCUM: Don't worry yourself with understanding this one just yet. It's more or less irrelevant when it comes to basic timer use. You can just put a "0" (zero) in this box.

Is you're head spinning yet? Don't worry, it'll all make sense once you start actually USING them.

Try a simple 2 rung program like this:

| I:0.0/0 +-- TON ----------+ |
|------] [---------------------| Timer On Delay |---( EN )---+
| | Timer T4:1 | |
| | Time Base 0.01 |---( DN )-- |
| | Preset 1000 | |
| | Accum 0 | |
| +-----------------+ |
| |
| T4:1/DN O:0.0/0 |
|------] [---------------------------------------------( )---+
| |
|----------------------------------------------------( END )--+

Then turn on input I:0.0/0 and watch how long it takes for output O:0.0/0 to turn on. With the values I gave, there will be a 10 second delay. Now try different "Time Base" and "Preset" values, and notice the effect it has on the delay between INPUT and OUTPUT. I have a feeling you'll soon say "Oh, NOW I get it"... :nodi:

Keep us posted on your progress!... :D

beerchug

-Eric