Electrical Desgin Question

Chado613

I was wondering if someone with international experince could answer this question for me.

Why do europeans always prefix control systems, junction boxes ..etc. with "+" or "=" or "-"?

Is it some kind of standard? (IEC?)

If anyone knows why or where I could find more in depth information about this, that would help me greatly.

Thanks

Chado613 said:
I was wondering if someone with international experince could answer this question for me.

Why do europeans always prefix control systems, junction boxes ..etc. with "+" or "=" or "-"?

Could you give a few examples? We have many German built machines and I cannot visualize what you mean by prefixing the control systems, junctions boxes, etc.

Like on documentation provided from european vendors the Controller will be called something like +C01 and a local control box will be called -LCB01. I have also seen in some cases =ER1 (location electrical room 1)

Hmmm. Looking through one of the folders on my desk, every terminal, prox switch, device, etc, is labeled as "-Name".

Always uses "-" though, never "+" or "=". I never noticed.

Maybe it's just their way of distinguishing the Symbol from the rest of the documentation.

hmm... I think this referencing system is defined in IEC 61346... IIRC Jesper(MP) was looking into this a couple of years back.

Latest 30 years I have seen them in German drawings.
Example: 123-B01 where 123 is drive and B01 is some photocell.
'-' is 'unnecessary' separator. 123B01 works as well.
I hope Jesper tell we more.
What is # in US and Canada ?

I have seen this on some German drawings as well as in EPlan. I understand this is a powerful and flexible system to define project structure (location-function-component etc., something like that, don't remember by heart) but was also interested was it some standard or just a convenient practice.

Chado613 said:

Is it some kind of standard? (IEC?)

If anyone knows why or where I could find more in depth information about this, that would help me greatly.

Eplan use this part of the IEC standard

= high level function
+ mounting location
- denotes device
== function level 1
= function level 2
++ installation site

I think this software is more popular in europe and it is basically similar to autocad electrical but more user friendly and powerful IMO

I've seen this. I'm not sure why they do it this way. When I exported the tags and comments into an Excel spreadsheet, Excel wasn't too happy about a bunch cells filled with =30+201-B01. It was almost angry, which in turn made me angry. Is there an easy way to disable the formula functionality in Excel? Like "ignore" the "=" part.
Sorry to hijack your post.

Last edited:
bulletin blues said:
I've seen this. I'm not sure why they do it this way. When I exported the tags and comments into an Excel spreadsheet, Excel wasn't too happy about a bunch cells filled with =30+201-B01. It was almost angry, which in turn made me angry. Is there an easy way to disable the formula functionality in Excel? Like "ignore" the "=" part.
Sorry to hijack your post.

For multiple cells, highlight them, then Menu, "Format", "Cells", In the dialog box, under "Number", select "Text".

For single cells, before you begin typing, prefix your typing with the normal ' character (single quote). It will be hidden when you leave the cell, but marks it as containing just text, not formulas.