AB Forums

pw3

Anyone had the pleasure of trying to get any info from the AB Knowledgebase of late? Apparently, on THEIR forum, you need a Techconnect Contract to access most of the boards, as well as a significant number of (what had been free) Technotes in the Knowledgebase.

They make a product, sell it for a premium price, it has bugs in it or there is a lack of info in the user manual, and now they want to CHARGE for the info to make it work?

Am I off-base on this, or is there a problem with this picture?

I'm new to the AB forums. When I tried to access the posts and notes on MicroLogix HSC I saw that most of the answers were locked out. I thought that was kinda RUDE.

Techconnect is not expensive. And it keeps your RSLogix software (all version, no matter how may seats) current too. To their credit, they have made it affordable.

Alaric said:
Techconnect is not expensive. And it keeps your RSLogix software (all version, no matter how may seats) current too. To their credit, they have made it affordable.

An activation for RSLinx OEM or RSView ME costs how much? An I/O card for a legacy system, a 1771-IFE, costs how much now? So you buy some software that they later determine has bugs in it, and they now want to charge for the info to fix it?

If this were a smaller company with less gear in the field the concept would never fly.

Brill

Alaric said:

I would highly recommend any Rockwell users to invest in a TechConnect contract. It only costs a few shillings and a very useful tool. If I cant find what i need in their comprehensive database of answers I can have a Tech Support Engineer call me within 24 hours.

The cost of this minimal, self-service type of support, should be built into the overhead cost of the product.

I'm okay with charging for specialized support, or Training, but gigging a customer for Technotes (especially on legacy gear) is an insult.

pw3 said:
Anyone had the pleasure of trying to get any info from the AB Knowledgebase of late? Apparently, on THEIR forum, you need a Techconnect Contract to access most of the boards, as well as a significant number of (what had been free) Technotes in the Knowledgebase.

They make a product, sell it for a premium price, it has bugs in it or there is a lack of info in the user manual, and now they want to CHARGE for the info to make it work?

Am I off-base on this, or is there a problem with this picture?

Interestingly enough, when you go to www(dot)ab(dot)com, and look at the 'Products' tab, the Knowledgebase is listed there. So, they apparently consider it a 'product'. In fairness, however, it also comes up under Services & Support, so, maybe just a strange alignment-of-the-planets kind of thing.

Your reply makes no sense. If you would like to add something constructive here, or want to PM me, have at it.

I think we've beat this in the ground. At least they have it. I have used techconnect many times and never been disappointed. The knowledgebase is pretty much a must have and the forums are just getting going, but doing pretty good. Overall, I'm satisfied. Do I wish they were free, of course. Will I continue to pay. Of course. Do I think they are going to change. Not anytime soon.

jdbrandt said:
Interestingly enough, when you go to www(dot)ab(dot)com, and look at the 'Products' tab, the Knowledgebase is listed there. So, they apparently consider it a 'product'. In fairness, however, it also comes up under Services & Support, so, maybe just a strange alignment-of-the-planets kind of thing.
Actually to defend Rockwell on this one, Knowledgebase links were added to various places some time ago after complaints from customers, including me, that it was hard to navigate through the support section of the site and find it

Something constructive? What makes no sense??? Its quite simple. I stated that the same people would still be complaining if Rockwell did not provide the TechConnect service.

A PM wont be nescessary.

boardmaker said:
I have used techconnect many times and never been disappointed.

I had one Techconnect guy swear at me (of course, he didn't know that I heard him). He was using speaker phone, and didn't hang up properly, and I heard some extra comments on the side he made about me.

I thought about speaking up, but figured it wasn't worth it and listened for about 20 more seconds before hanging up myself.