RSLogix "Failed to save document"

kolyur

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Has anyone else gotten this error when trying to save a file in RSLogix 500? I am using v7.0. It seems to happen when the file is on a network drive, although it won't let me do a Save As onto the hard drive either. If I try enough times, RSLogix crashes. My only choice is to quit and lose all my changes since the last successful save. Another reason to save frequently I guess.

Yes, I have had this problem myself several times. I think (In my case) it revolves around change the Ethernet routing while the file is open in Logix.

An example would be if I am using my laptop with a wireless Ethernet connection, with RSLogix open "talking" to a PLC, if I dock my laptop (or plug in an Ethernet connection) it will not let me save the file.

Yes, it is a major pain in the neck. This might not be the only thing that causes it, but this is when it happens to me.

I get the same error when using Offline files in windows XP. If I open, disconnect from the network, and then re-conncet and try to save it fails and crashes.

Christoff84 said:
I get the same error when using Offline files in windows XP. If I open, disconnect from the network, and then re-conncet and try to save it fails and crashes.

+1 here.

Could this be related to using a "concurrent activation" the one you borrow from a server and expires in 2 hours or so?
Or does it happen even with a node locked activation?

The only common thing from the posts above is a "network".
I guess that's the root of the problem.
Not sure if mapped drives or network drives and such make a difference
in the way the software behaves.
I suggest keeping a copy of the program on your local drive, do all the changes there and upload to the network once done with it.
I know, not a solution but it has worked for me.

I suggest keeping a copy of the program on your local drive, do all the changes there and upload to the network once done with it.
That's the ultimate solution I guess. Since we have several laptops all working on the same PLC at different times, it's nice to be able to keep the rss file on the network and get to it via wireless.

I agree with Keystone, the problem seems more frequent whenever the network "burps" (power cycles, routing changes, etc.)

I have had the same problem, same causes...something happens to the network while I have the file open...perhaps the path became temporarily unreachable.

I can usually change the filename and get a successful save, then change it right back and delete the 'dummy' save. Sometimes, I have to perform the Save As to a different path.

Paul

I know this is an old thread but did anyone ever resolve this problem? I have the same issue and it also seems to be when I change from the wireless network to a LAN connection with the program still open.

The best workaround I know of is to save a local copy while you are working with the file, then save it back to the network location later.

If you keep it open and there are any issues with the network location, even briefly, you run the risk of not being able to save the file at all and losing your work.

I still have this problem and it has just taught me to save more frequently. It seems to occur when the wirless network drops out, if only for an instant. It's never occurred when I'm working from the network on a wired connection.

In one instance when it happened, I had made quite a few changes since the last save so I was determined to find a way not to lose my work. I discovered that it allowed me to Save As a local copy as long as it was in the .SLC text format (normal RSS wouldn't work). So, after restarting I just imported the SLC file and voila, disaster averted.