RSLogix 5 failed to ASCII import CSV file to database

mechadruid

I am trying to import addresses and symbols from a PanelBuilder32 application into the RSLogix 5 Address/Symbol database - however each time I try, I get an error message saying that it Could not import the tag database.

The purpose for doing this is to add the symbols from the PanelBuilder application to match the addresses they are bound to in the PLC program.

I have a CSV export of the RSLogix 5 Address/Symbols and I have copied the addresses and symbols I needed from the Panelbuilder application - but I can not get them imported into the program.

Anyone have an idea how I can get this accomplished? I'm trying to save time building a new panelview application.
Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Can you re-import the exported file without making any changes to it?
I've seen Excel do things to CSV files that mess them up for re-importing (like adding/removing single quotes, etc.). I would open the exported file immediately in Notepad or Notepad++ and look at its format. Then open up the one you edited in Excel and compare them.

The symbols and addresses I am trying to import look like this when I opened them in notepad:

N22:64,,ack
N22:135,,actual_batch_width

When I opened the exported database file from RSLogix 5 in notepad, they look like this:

B12:10/0,0,,"BATCHING","STORAGE","SYSTEM ","IN AUTO","LIGHT",0,,,0,
B12:10/1,0,,"BATCHING","STORAGE","SYSTEM ","IN AUTO","LIGHT",0,,,0,

I was able to import the exported CSV file. It caused many address collisions as a result which would be expected as they are all the same.

I guess that the extra quotes are needed in order to properly import?

failed import.PNG

Yes,the quotes are necessary. What I would do is export the database and then add in what you're trying to import, copying the format exactly, and then import it. It needs to have the correct type of information in the correct columns.

Another tip: before exporting the database, add symbols to a few of the addresses (if they don't already have them) so you can see what each column is. When I export from RSLogix 500 the columns are:

Address
?? (always 0)
Symbol (all caps, no quotes)
Description line 1 (with quotes)
Description line 2 (with quotes)
Description line 3 (with quotes)Description line 4 (with quotes)Description line 5 (with quotes)?? (always 0)
?? (blank)
?? (blank)
?? (always 0)

Your columns may be different. In fact, the online help for RSL500 says that it looks like this:
"B003:000/06","0","SYMBOL","THIS IS THE WAY","A DESCRIPTION ","DISPLAYS","","","0","","","1"
My export looks like this:
B3:0/0,0,ESTOP,"E-Stop signal. This","comment tests CSV","export behavior. No","carriage returns","",0,,,0,

Panelbuilder 32 is supposed to be able to match the format required by RSLogix 5/500 so external manipulation should not be necessary. Two things that can blow it up:

1) Using commas and/or quotation marks in any of your comments. The import parser can only assume that every comma indicates the start of next field and that every quotation mark is followed by a text item.

2) Importing the file into a spreadsheet editor with the format options not set up correctly. When you save it, all your commas get swapped with tabs for example.