OT: Autocad Mechanical

Tazikel

I've heard good things about Autocad Electrical, but has anyone here used Autocad Mechanical? It looks like it would make mechanical drawings much easier (for this kid, at least). I still doubt my employer will buy it, since I don't have Autocad Anything. :(

I've thought about downloading the demo to try it out. It would certainly make machine building easier than the current method of pencil, paper, and calculator.

I have autocad mechanical and its great for doing layouts and other drawings that work better as 2D.

Really for machine building I like to go with Inventor and draw it all 3D. No more thinking about how to layout a drawing, just make the part, plot your 3 views on the page and fix up the dimensions. It also saves a ton of time.

We have one license of Autocad Mechanical here but mainly use Solid Edge (3D) for mechanical design. Frankly I don't see any point in using Mechanical when the prices of the 3D programs keep coming down. (If you think they're still too expensive, check out Alibre.) It has some nice tools for making shafts and related components, but why not do it quicker and easier in 3D? The one thing I like about Acad Mechanical is that it can generate 2D timing pulleys and sprockets of any size--which I immediately export into Solid Edge and extrude into 3D.

If you just want 2D panel layouts or something then Autocad is fine. If your going 3D you should look into Solidworks. I can't say enough good things about it.

CharlesM said:
If you just want 2D panel layouts or something then Autocad is fine. If your going 3D you should look into Solidworks. I can't say enough good things about it.

When I started working at my current job, I asked the Mechanical Engineers if they used Autocad and if I could use it for my electrical drawings.

The head engineer did not like Autocad for some reason. They use only Solid Works. I was disappointed. I don't know if Solid Works can do what Autocad does with electrical designs or not, but I never tried.

Tharon said:
When I started working at my current job, I asked the Mechanical Engineers if they used Autocad and if I could use it for my electrical drawings.

The head engineer did not like Autocad for some reason. They use only Solid Works. I was disappointed. I don't know if Solid Works can do what Autocad does with electrical designs or not, but I never tried.

I use Solidworks for mechanical and AutoCad for electrical; good combination but Solidworks would not be a good choice for electrical schematics. Next best thing would probably be Autocad LT.

I use Solidworks for mechanical and AutoCad for electrical; good combination but Solidworks would not be a good choice for electrical schematics. Next best thing would probably be Autocad LT.
Same here Solidworks is not for electrical. It can do some things like routing for wires inside a washing machine but not what most people here would want. I do think Solidworks has a free 2d cad package that you could use just like Autocad LT.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/products/free-cad-software-downloads.htm

Electrical drawings

FWIW we use Visio for electronic drawings. It's horrible IMHO for any mechanical aspects, but it seems quicker for electronics. I use AutoCad for everything else like panels and layouts.

I didn't realize AutoCad had an electrical, they offer a demo disk which I just ordered after reading the post here. They seem to be after the PLC market in particular.

Thanks for all the replies. I've heard of most of these programs mentioned, but I wasn't sure how easy they would be for a novice 3D user. I used Autocad 2002 for years to do panel layouts and ladder diagrams at my last job. Since we didn't build machines - only control panels, I've only fiddled around with 3D. Most of the time I was trying to learn it (3D) as a hobby.

I really liked using Autocad, I even learned a bit of AutoLisp to write a few simple macros. I've tried demos of "cheaper" drafting software, but they often feel just that: cheaper, or they seem more designed for home furnishing layouts.

I guess what I'm looking for is a fairly smooth transition from 2D to 3D. The various generators in Autocad Mechanical sounded like a big help to me, even though it isn't true 3D. The machines we build are not very complex at all. It would be a huge help to me and our machinist if we could draft all (or most) of a design out beforehand.

But as I said, I don't think my employer will buy us any drafting software. It's even been suggested that I should buy it myself. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think that's fair. :(

Regardless, I may have to check out Solidworks when I get home (no flash on this computer). I like to learn. :)

Thanks again for the replies.

Tazikel said:
It's even been suggested that I should buy it myself. Perhaps it's just me, but I don't think that's fair.

It's amazing how some boses want people to do work without giving them the proper tools.

Will he share more of the profit you generate for him if you buy the software.

You can get your feet wet in 3D for free with Alibre Design
https://www.alibre.com/products/xpress/xpress_for_all.asp

If you are required to use the software but your company makes you pay for it, then you can deduct it from your taxes (small consolation but no nothing...)