connections and gateways ?

panthripu

hi friends
We have four siemens s7 plc in our network.Few days back when there was some problem in our system , once of plc memory was rest and later on back was loaded, also the netpro was loaded.
Later on we found communication through profibus was ok but communication with other plc was not taking place.
when i checked the netpro i found ethernet connection was not shown/defined there.
later on i was told by the commissioning engineer that there is another project on my PG where all PLC have been shown in netpro.
Open that project , select the PLC which has problem and go to PLC >download to current project>connection and gateways.
I did the same and the problem was solved.
I want to understand what is gateway in this system and what exactly we did.