Servomotor - "GET IT RUNNING!"

Drippin

I'm sure you'll all be able to relate to this.

We have a samll servomotor that has failed and as such production tonnage figures are affected.

Motor failed showing an earth fault on the drive. Substitution proved the motor was at fault. No spare in stores. Third-party repair company says "insulation degradation (10 year old motor); requires replacement - five weeks delivery".

Factory maintenance manager suggests removing the earth wire from the motor to keep us running until then................

Yeah right

Drippin

Drippin said:
I'm sure you'll all be able to relate to this.

We have a samll servomotor that has failed and as such production tonnage figures are affected.

Motor failed showing an earth fault on the drive. Substitution proved the motor was at fault. No spare in stores. Third-party repair company says "insulation degradation (10 year old motor); requires replacement - five weeks delivery".

Factory maintenance manager suggests removing the earth wire from the motor to keep us running until then................

Yeah right

Drippin
Try posting the description and part number you never know someone may be able to help!

Try Ebay!

I would ask your boss to put that in writing mate if i were you!!

If its that much of an issue just replace the whole servo motor and drive for one that is off the shelf, its only a servo drive at the end of the day - not rocket science! :)

I don't know the situation in Cambridge, but, if replacment in whole were in play, here in the USA, you'd have dozens of salesmen and technical advisors falling over each other to come in and sell you this solution.

If it's costing you that much in downtime then it's probably a lot cheaper to do what others' have suggested and replace the whole lot with something that is readily available. Not only will you save time, but you're most likely to get the latest and greatest whatever.... Then again I guess there's little point in 2 devices meeting MEPS 2 if the rest of the equipment is 10 years old.

jdbrandt said:
I don't know the situation in Cambridge, but, if replacment in whole were in play, here in the USA, you'd have dozens of salesmen and technical advisors falling over each other to come in and sell you this solution.

It's crazy isn't it? The Turk/Banner man here calls me EVERY Monday without fail to see if I've got any applications for his products. My answer is always the same, "We're proprietary spec'ed, but I'll see what I can do.". He just doesn't get the hint =( Salesman desperation is so sad... speaking of which, it's Monday tomorrow, ugh.

Last edited:
It's still not running - WHY!?

To echo an earlier poster's sentiment, clearly I refused to disconnect the earth to the motor - irrespective of wether or not I had it in writing! If somebody had been <<shocked>> I would have been looking at the blunt end of a set of handcuffs (quite rightly too).

As others have said - replacement is the way forward and we have plenty of "eager beaver" sales reps here, wanting to sell us a whole new setup, just as you do in the USA. Sadly though, I'm working in a dying factory. The product we manufacture has been superceded by a newer, cheaper alternative technology and so our sales volumes (and Capital Expenditure budgets) have been shrinking.

This situation leaves us in the perverse situation of having to fulfill contracts with little money to keep the plant running - once again a familiar story. BTW if you knew how big the company is that I work for you'd be horrified!

Thanks for te offers of tech. support, but the new motor is on order (I think they found a few quid down the back of the Factory Manager's sofa). Only four-and-a-half weeks until delivery!

Drippin said:
BTW if you knew how big the company is that I work for you'd be horrified!

Probably not as much as you'd think. We are all in the same boat. World wide the story is the same. Specially if you work in Automotive.

Drippin said:
Only four-and-a-half weeks until delivery!

I'm sure you looked into getting the original motor rewound, etc to fix the ground fault. Is there something special about this motor that makes it not possible? Is it 3phase, single phase, DC?

Hi every one

I am learning plc and I need some one to tell me if it possible to write a plc program to control 2_phase steper motor 2.8 V dc 1.7 amp without using steper motor control card.

fo example use a program including counter to control the two coils.

Thanks