Siemens S7 300/200 PLC's with MPI

Hi all,
my client has an existing 300 system with 3 by 316/314 PLC's connected on an MPI system with "global data" shared between each.
They have now purchased some new add on plant which will include an S7 200 CPU226. Can anyone please tell me-
1. Can existing S7 programming software (Simatic Step 7 V5.3 with SP2) talk to the 200 PLC.
2. Can existing MPI network be extended to the new 200 PLC with exchanging of global data.
Thank you.
ColinA

My opinion is:
1. No, there is (PPI) Point to Point interfase in 200.
2. No, (MPI) Multipoint interface do not work with PPI.
Step7 V5.3 don't support 200-series, it needs Step7 micro-win engineering tools.

I can be mistaken also.

Last edited:
Actually, there is MPI protocol with an S7-200.
The S7-200 only supports MPI Slave, whereas S7-300/400 also supports MPI Master.
I dont know if GD is included (I doubt it). I know for sure that the S7-300/400 can communicate with an S7-200 by means of XPUT/XGET blocks.

Apart from that, if it was me I would try to have the machine changed to S7-300.

You can get a 200 series with profibus now. Not sure about MPI though.

You must use MicroWIN to program the 200 series, think the 200 series is really a texas instruments PLC.

mrmss said:
..You must use MicroWIN to program the 200 series, think the 200 series is really a texas instruments PLC.
Yes, 'S7' confusing. They have nothing to do between oneselves S7-200 and S7-300/400 excluding grey color.

seppoalanen said:
They have nothing to do between oneselves S7-200 and S7-300/400 excluding grey color.

They can both be programmed with a MPI cable and can also communicate through Profibus ;)

geniusintraining said:
They can both be programmed with a MPI cable and can also communicate through Profibus ;)
You are right!
In my mind, Profibus is fieldbus for smart field devices.
Today, Ethernet is fast bus for communication between PLC's, OP-Panels, PC's etc. and internet communication via VPN.
Ps. I use only separate Ethernet CP-units. Reasons: More communication modes as TCP/IP, UDP and methods as multi- and broadcast capabilities.

Thanks everyone for very helpful information- yes I would like to change to a 300 PLC as well but it seems that initial cost outweighs common sense sometimes in these matters.
Cheers, ColinA