Headscratcher with ControlLogix ENBT/A

The Waterboy

I've looked through the archives and can't find anything that has worked, so here's a call for help:

I've got an overhead crane with a wireless connection to a ground-based HMI. On the crane is the wireless client (a D-Link cheapie), a 5-port Cisco managed switch with IGMP snooping enabled, a Panelmate, and the Control Logix rack with 1756-ENBT card.

The PLC only answers pings from the ground about 25% of the time. You get about 2-3 minutes of connectivity, followed by 10 minutes of nothing. Lather, rinse, repeat all day long.

The initial suspicion is the wireless client, but I can get online (via HTTP) with the wireless client and the Cisco switch 100% of the time, and I can ping the Panelmate 100% of the time with 1-3ms times. All of this is from the ground HMI.

What is most odd is that I can do the ping xxxx -t thing to the PLC from several PCs at once, and they all lose connectivity at the exact same moment. While I do that, I also ping the wireless unit to be sure I'm not losing it, and it never blinks.

No fault codes or errors are showing on the ENBT. I'm stuck. I'm also predominantly a Siemens guy so my Control Logix skills are only at a basic 'get online and look at properties' level. I've replaced the cable from the PLC to the switch, as well as the switch itself, to no effect. Can anyone suggest a course of action?

The Waterboy said:
I've looked through the archives and can't find anything that has worked, so here's a call for help:

I've got an overhead crane with a wireless connection to a ground-based HMI. On the crane is the wireless client (a D-Link cheapie), a 5-port Cisco managed switch with IGMP snooping enabled, a Panelmate, and the Control Logix rack with 1756-ENBT card.

The PLC only answers pings from the ground about 25% of the time. You get about 2-3 minutes of connectivity, followed by 10 minutes of nothing. Lather, rinse, repeat all day long.

The initial suspicion is the wireless client, but I can get online (via HTTP) with the wireless client and the Cisco switch 100% of the time, and I can ping the Panelmate 100% of the time with 1-3ms times. All of this is from the ground HMI.

What is most odd is that I can do the ping xxxx -t thing to the PLC from several PCs at once, and they all lose connectivity at the exact same moment. While I do that, I also ping the wireless unit to be sure I'm not losing it, and it never blinks.

No fault codes or errors are showing on the ENBT. I'm stuck. I'm also predominantly a Siemens guy so my Control Logix skills are only at a basic 'get online and look at properties' level. I've replaced the cable from the PLC to the switch, as well as the switch itself, to no effect. Can anyone suggest a course of action?

What kind of wireless client are you using? Is it a router? If so, why are you using the Cisco switch? My first guess is that the problem is with the D-Link device. I had intermittent problems with one of their routers for use around the house. Can you swap it out with anything else?

Check the diagnostics screen for the 1756-ENBT. Pull up Internet Explorer and type in IP address of ENBT in address bar.

Post a snapshot. What is the CPU % ? Anything unusual in CIP Connection Stats?

1756ENBTDiags.JPG

jimbo3123 said:
What kind of wireless client are you using? Is it a router? If so, why are you using the Cisco switch? My first guess is that the problem is with the D-Link device. I had intermittent problems with one of their routers for use around the house. Can you swap it out with anything else?

It's a DWG-7200AP. Just an client, no router function. It talks to an identical one on the ground that is set up as an access point.

We have some other wireless stuff around but given that I can access everything else on the crane without problems I haven't tried changing it.

Last edited:
gmferg said:
Check the diagnostics screen for the 1756-ENBT. Pull up Internet Explorer and type in IP address of ENBT in address bar.

Post a snapshot. What is the CPU % ? Anything unusual in CIP Connection Stats?

There's no summary screen like you showed. There are 20 or so diagnostic info screens and 3 information screens. Here is one:
IPStats.JPG

CIP Stats:

CIPStats.JPG

Oakley said:
What firmware revision is your ENBT?

Module Revision: 1.4

Firmware Identification: April 30, 2002

Nothing in there says 'Firmware Revision' but those were the closest.

Last edited:
You could try flash upgrading the firmware of your ENBT to the latest.

I have an installation using a wireless router (ENBT firmware rev 3.9, Linksys router) on one end and the server connects wirelessly. I have not experienced any of the issues you have described.

I didn't have the guts to flash the firmware on our most important crane on the day before a startup, but we had a spare card in our storeroom. It had firmware version 4.003 and at this early stage it looks like the problem is gone. The ground HMI works like a champ.

I really appreciate your help. Looks like I need to order some more cards for the rest of the cranes I'm hooking the to wireless next month (all the same vintage).