Industral panel computer selection

plc noob

Hello Everyone

Here is my question / problem . I am working in a 10 yr old plant with lots of automated processes and stand alone equipment most run wonderware or rs view as the hmi. We have many panel pc's of various sizes and brands mostly ab versa view of which in general i would say we have lots of problems with the versa view from a hardware aspect i.e. failed hard drives, video cards, etc. I am looking to become standard on another brand and most likely all the same size . I think a 17 inch will cover our needs anywhere i want to convert what we have and request this new brand on all equipment built for us . so i would like to get recomendations on the best brand and the pro's and con's of each . This is a food processing facility with daily washdowns so must be watertight and stainless thank you for suggestions

We use seperate montiors and PCs, that way we can upgrade either withoug changing out the entire unit. Stealth Computer offers a great compact palm sized panel mount PC that fits beautifully into even slim HMI encolsures right behind the monitor. We've been using them for years, never had problems with any of them, and even our IT department loves using them.

Looking at some of the Advantech units, I see they are available with "Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 Embedded". Is this a fully-functional version of XP Pro or is it limited in some way?

plc noob said:
Hello Everyone

So i would like to get recomendations on the best brand and the pro's and con's of each . This is a food processing facility with daily washdowns so must be watertight and stainless thank you for suggestions

As you are talking wash down area, why not consider placing a PC, or HMI of your choice in a box with a hinged clear poly carbonate lid, then bring to the outside a $20 mouse to be sacrificial.
Mine passes thru a large gland that the USB plug will fit thru, and sealed down on an added piece of closed cell foam in my case foam ear plugs
I did this to a Panelview plus and we still have origional mouse after 3 years, a look like new screen, and the ability to open the door and use the touch screen, which I don't think has ever happened.
The mouse is supposed to gets in a plastic bag at wash down

kolyur said:
Looking at some of the Advantech units, I see they are available with "Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3 Embedded". Is this a fully-functional version of XP Pro or is it limited in some way?

The ones I have used are a full version of XP Pro. Have had good luck with the ones I have installed.

If this is a washdown area I would suggest a cover even though the PC is rated for it. I have seen where over time the clear membrane of the touch screen becomes discolored. Operator can open the cover whenever they need to make a change and close it whe washing down.

You can take a look at Advantech. They are ok, and not expensive.
I may be wrong but I think Advantech makes AB's computers.

I have used several Advantechs in the past with good luck. I am now using Siemens without any problems. I have also used Xycom.

I would check out Red Lion Controls HMIs, they are much cheaper than AB VersaView and have all the drivers. They also save data in a more frienlly csv format
Roy

We've made B&R Industrial PCs our VersaView replacement. We've seen all the problems was well, the B&R hardware is clean and efficent, very customizable and cheaper then AB. Panel cutout size is typically a little larger then a similar sized VersaView so replacement into an existing control panel is pretty easy. Only downside is that they are 24VDC so a separate power supply must be used.

Thanks for the suggestions . i have considered a cover for the screen as we do indeed have some with discoloration. i saw a hinged cover once that would cover the hmi and mounted to the panel the cover door of it could be removed pretty easily when it got real grungy just replace but i don't remember the manufacturer and can't seem to find them in any of the popular enclosure brands catalogs anyone have more info experience with zycom i have heard a lot of god things about them from a couple integrators

Please, for the love of Micky Mouse...

Use correct punctuation and capitalization. Run on sentences are hard to read, and others may be less likely to try to decipher and thus help you answer your question.

Just my 0.02