GE Fanuc Series1 Junior

93lt1

I have an opportunity to replace (upgrade) 3 GE Series 1 Junior PLC's. I have searched the web and haven't been able to find an instruction set reference manual. According to the program printout in the panel, the PLC's appear to have been programmed in a statement list type language. I am looking to find a link to a document that explains all of the instructions and addressing scheme.

Any have any experience with these?

The Series One Junior used the same instruction set as the Series One, which is now marketed as the DL305 from Automation Direct. If you really need a GE manual, the Series One manual can be found in .pdf format on GE's 'Legacy Products' CD. You'll need to contact a distributor for a copy, as it is not available online. To the best of my knowledge, the Series One Junior manual was never issued in electronic form.

If you can't get the Series One manual from your distributor, contact me here by PM, and I can send you the .pdf file. It's almost 40 meg, so you'll want to have a broadband connection, and I'll have to chop it into smaller chunks.

I'm Full of Questions!

Steve Bailey said:
The Series One Junior used the same instruction set as the Series One, which is now marketed as the DL305 from Automation Direct.

That answered my next question.

Are they "ladder" capable? Is the "statement list" printout I saw, the standard language? Will the AD PLC software work with this PLC?

Last edited:
There was a DOS software package for the Junior, seperate from the package for the Series One. The Junior was so slow that you couldn't go online with the software and monitor the operation of the program. When Texas Instruments picked up the product line, they did not offer the Junior. From all of those clues, I'm guessing that the AD software won't be compatible with the Junior. Sounds like it will be a manual conversion. If you want to post a sample of the code, I can convert a couple of the rungs for you to get you started.

Last edited:
That's kinda what I was thinking. After a quick glance at the printout in the panel, most of the instructions were pretty straight-forward, but I saw quite a few TMR, which I believe to be timers. It appeared a line like "STR TMR 600" might be start timer 600? Then a line like "IF TMR 600 OUT 100" could be turn output 100 on if timer 600 is done?

I'm going off of memory here so bear with me. I should be able to get a hold of the printouts sometime next week.

And thank you very much for the help!

You're correct about the timers. However, STR is the instruction for the first element in a rung. So your example (STR TMR 600) is actually a NO contact addressed to T600. The instruction will be equivalent to an AB timer .DN bit

T600
--] [--

Addressing for the Junior is octal. Inputs in the base unit have addresses 000 through 016. Outputs in the base unit are addressed 017 through 027. Timer and counter addresses are 600 - 623. Timer resolution can be 0.1 or 1.0 seconds. For 0.1 second resolution, enter the preset as (for example) 10.0
For 1 second resolution, enter the preset as 10 (no decimal point). Timer and counter max value is 9999 BCD.

A typical rung of ladder logic:

005 006 017
--] [---+--]/[-------( )-
|
017 |
--] [---+

would be rendered as:

STR 005
OR 017
AND NOT 006
OUT 017

The instruction names correspond to the labels on the hand-held programmer keys.

Your example of turning on an output when the timer is done would be rendered as:

STR TMR 600
OUT 100

A rung to control a timer with a preset of 2.5 seconds, enabled by input 010 would be rendered as:

STR 010
TMR 600 2.5

I got the printout....

Here's a larger rung, I think. Please check my conversion below. I am guessing the "or sto" means end of branch or something to that effect...

16 str not tmr 604
17 and 160
18 str not tmr 607
19 and 161
20 str not tmr 612
21 and 162
22 str not tmr 615
23 and 163
24 or sto
25 or sto
26 or sto
27 out 164

gejunior.gif

Steve Bailey said:
A typical rung of ladder logic:

005 006 017
--] [---+--]/[-------( )-
|
017 |
--] [---+

would be rendered as:

STR 005
OR 017
AND NOT 006
OUT 017

How do you know that this:

STR 005
OR 017
AND NOT 006
OUT 017

is not:

005 017
--] [--------+---------( )-
|
017 006 |
--] [---]/[--+

I must be missing something...

93lt1,

93lt1, what you posted would be rendered as:

STR 005
STR 017
AND NOT 006
OR STO
OUT 017

They review the rules they follow for building ladder logic in the Series One manual. It is not available online, but it is available in .pdf format on the 'Legacy Products' CD. If you're friendly with your local GE Fanuc distributor, maybe you can get a free copy. The S1 Jr manual is not available in electronic format.

Failing that, I have the file. It is about 30 meg, so I'll have to chop it into smaller sections to send it to you, and you'll want to have broadband access to receive it. If you want me to send you the Series One manual, send me an email address via PM. Or send me a snail mail address. I can burn a copy of the Legacy Products CD and mail it to you.

Wow...too helpful (if there is such a thing)

Steve Bailey said:
If you want me to send you the Series One manual, send me an email address via PM. Or send me a snail mail address. I can burn a copy of the Legacy Products CD and mail it to you.

We are typically an all AB plant. I don't have any connections at our local GE distributor. I'm not sure if they are really a 'major' PLC supplier. If you don't mind, I'll give you my email address.

Thanks!!! (y)

Y'all do know that DirectSoft32 works with GE Fanuc Series 1? If you need to work with that thing much you may want to look into getting that and the adapters needed to connect, maybe you could convert it to ladder which would be easier for you to understand. I noticed you needed to convert 3 of them and this may be a faster more economical route in the long run.