Slightly OT, should I interview this guy?

allscott

Looking for plant electricians. Just got a resume from a guy with "profetional" experience. He also has experience with AB SLC250's and PLC500's.

His other experience looks good and he's an immigrant so I can somewhat understand the spelling issue.

So what do you think? Should I bother, we are kind of desperate.

Steve Bailey said:
Shouldn't that be PLC 2/50 and SLC500? Maybe he has lesdyxia.

LOL, possibly!. That's why I posted. I really don't care if he's polish and dyslexic as long as he can troubleshoot and fix and not kill himself.

allscott said:
LOL, possibly!. That's why I posted. I really don't care if he's polish and dyslexic as long as he can troubleshoot and fix and not kill himself.

Well he already has one of the three qualifications, he's still alive. At least he was when he sent the resume.

Last edited:
You should talk to this guy. Some of my best troubleshooters are not very articulate. I had one guy that could walk up to a machine and instantly pin point the problem but not be able to describe what he did.

Then again maybe this guy is full of bull**** but you cannot tell from a resume.

Good luck

allscott said:

Desperate because you pay low or because there are no skilled guys?

I didnt see that it mattered. Just might have explained spelling. We dont know where he came from in the post.

Hell if he is from a country that speaks a different language he has a reason. I miss spell all the time what is my excuse (I'm sure you are thinking of some good ones).

Last edited:
What the problem?
Spend 20 min with him short test,that's it.
If he is immigrant you have to make sure he understand you well.
Also make sure he understand your terms.

At the end of the day we are all bluffers. How many engineers in the automation field have you met that actually know what they are doing???

Its not rocket science and we get the job done in the end. I say give the guy a chance and interview him.

Looking for plant electricians. Just got a resume from a guy with "profetional" experience. He also has experience with AB SLC250's and PLC500's.

His other experience looks good and he's an immigrant so I can somewhat understand the spelling issue.

If the guy is familiar with the type of PLCs and software packages your other guys use, give him a chance. But if he only knows legacy PLCs and DOS based packages, forget it.

a diamond in the rough?

I would talk to him, he could be a diamond in the rough as some have put it to me. You never know what is inside the wrapper with out looking, and that does not take much time / investment to do and you could end up with a good deal out of it. o_O