Editing problem with Logix5k V16 and 5+ programmers

pandersen

On our larger machines we may have 5-6 programmers on the same PLC. Sometimes when someone assembles edits the other laptops will not get the whole change. This leads to 'running' rungs that have errors on them (see screenshot). They will not go away without uploading from the PLC. The programmer who originally assembled the edit will have the correct rung. This also prevents anyone from assembling edits in the same program as it has an error in it.

Anyone else seen this before?

SS.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a really good answer for this, please don't take my response the wrong way, but:

On our larger machines we may have 5-6 programmers on the same PLC.

...maybe you should either program offline or get (less number of) competent programmers. Good lord are you asking for trouble, lol!

Unfortunately it is very hard to debug a machine that is the length of a football field with any less than that. The initial programming is done offline but you can't debug a machine without being online.

Have you tried increaing the System Overhead TimeSlice on the Controller Properties ? - I believe this could be a comms issue.

I've done multiple programmers on the same ControlLogix PLC but it was just two at at time, not five. Even with just two programmers we discovered that we needed to co-ordinate and communicate on every edit and every assemble. I've naturally got no idea how your program is structured, but we divide our systems into zones, with separate programs for each zone. We would never both be working in the same zone, and hence program, at the same time.

The time slice is already at 35%, but I can increase it to 40% or 45% and see what happens. This is a rare issue so it will probably take a while to see if it helps.

Alaric, what you said is very true if two+ people are editing the same program. If one guy assembles edits then RSLogix will completely erase any unaccepted edits the other people have in that same program.

We usually have our systems separated into modules, and the modules are separated into stations, with each station in it's own program. Ideally each module has it's own PLC. This usually keeps people from editing over each other as two people are usually not debugging the same station.

We have had 3 programmers online at the same time. Other than the typical rung edits loss within same program and occasional Logix crash and dump, it works OK.

Don't be afraid to go with a larger overhead time slice value. We typically make 50% the minimum and go up from there if needed. Our applications our heavy on the comms side and don't require super fast scan times.

Ver. 16 also allows you to apply unused time slice to communications, try selecting that.

TimeSlice.JPG

True, you need to be online while debugging but I have never heard of 5+ programmers debugging at one time. I have debugged lines that were 5 "football fields" long and debugged/programmed myself. I wouldn't have wanted anyone else making changes.

However, I think "Contr Conn" is correct about later Revs 16. Also, 17 is supposed to be rock-solid in multiple online edits.

Control_Conn is mentioning a PSA notice from last year, ACIG 2007-08-001. If you have multiple users editing simultaneously and even one of them is running RSLogix 5000 16.00, you can get corrupted edits on the other stations.

Do a roll call and make sure everybody is running RSLogix 5000 version 16.03.

Ah hah! Someone was still on 16.00. They also happened to be the person who's edits were erroring on everyone elses side.