Windows and automation systems

Jon R

:eek:fftop:I was originally going to post about calling an application from within a SCADA package and it exposing the Windows OS to the user, thereby losing security, as I was keeping the SCADA locked to prevent OS access.

While I appreciate that there may be people here who know how to do this I thought I'd share a couple of things I found.

Taskbar Eliminator is a useful little applet that sits in the tray and allows you to hide or show the taskbar.

http://aviassin.wikidot.com/taskbareliminator

I also found a registry mod that removes the start menu function of the Windows key.

http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/disable_windows_key/

You may or may not be interested but thought I'd share incase anyone else wants to use the info.

If you know a better way I would be interested in knowing that as I am always looking to learn.

Jon.

If the machine is logging on a Windows Domain you can use group policy to centrally allow/disallow applications.

You can still use group policy on XP Pro machines to lock everything down. You might not have as much control as surferb's way, but I use it to stop operators from abusing their 'email' computer.

That's correct. You don't get the full suite, but it's still very powerful. Beware, though! You can accidentally lock yourself out this way. (Not such a concern when you're pushing a client policy from a server).