Windows 10-Rockwell Automation Software.RS Logix5000,500,FactoryTalk View.Any Issues?

I'm looking at doing the same, although not sure whether I should try for Server 2019 and risk being on the bleeding edge. Can you elaborate at all on the sort of things you had to install manually and get set up? Was it intuitive to do, i.e. the Logix installer would say "I can't install until you install X Y and Z", or did it just fail to install and you had to trawl through the install log to work out what was missing? Any particular gotchas that you encountered?

sorry for the late reply.

the things that needed to be manually done were prompted to me to have to be done by the AB installers. I think it was something to do with the NET Framework 3.5 perhaps. Looking through my YouTube history I watched "How to Install NET 3.5 Framework in Windows Server 2012 R2", but again i didnt know that had to be done until trying to install, i believe Studio 5000, and it stopped the install to say that I needed this .NET to be installed. as far as a license key, eBay has em. maybe thats not the right way to go about things, but thats the way we've done it. you can get the .iso for Server off of Microsofts website and run it for like 180 days as a trial, then once you get the license you can activate it by doing some command prompt stuff. again a quick google search will bring you exactly what you need.

Thanks JZerb, those particular issues shouldn't cause me too much grief. I've had to do the same thing when installing clean OS's from a disk. I refuse to ever buy a PC with an OS pre-installed, although it does have the niceties of NET Frameworks already being set up and so on, the crapware that comes along with it makes it more trouble than it's worth.

Appreciate the info!

Thanks JZerb, those particular issues shouldn't cause me too much grief. I've had to do the same thing when installing clean OS's from a disk. I refuse to ever buy a PC with an OS pre-installed, although it does have the niceties of NET Frameworks already being set up and so on, the crapware that comes along with it makes it more trouble than it's worth.

Appreciate the info!

No problem. Good luck!

My only regret with my current setup is that I bought a LenovoP71 new instead of a used MacBook Pro and put some money into that instead. Windows 10 even as the main OS on the P71 can give me random blue screens of death the last two weeks and it’s starting to bug me from a machine that isn’t even a full calendar year old.

Yeah, I took a punt on a MacBook Pro 5-6 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made. Now all our engineers use them, one of my colleagues is still using a 4-5 year old one with no problems at all. Runs two VM's simultaneously as reliably as if they were physical machines, but with the disaster recovery benefits of a VM.

I've downloaded and run up a Server 2019 VM, will start installing RA software on it later today and see how I get on!

For people in the future: hi, how's the future? Do we have flying cars yet?

Also, I split off my quest to install as much RA software as possible on Windows Server 2019 into a separate thread over here

Just a quick update for the benefit of Cydog - I got every version of Logix 5000/Logix Designer from 13 to 32 working on Windows Server 2019, so I'd suggest you can probably get them all working on Windows 10 as well should you need to. There were a few challenges to overcome, but I've documented them all in the thread linked above.

But I would also in light of my experience recommend ditching W10 and going for a Server OS anyway!