232 to Ethernet or DH+ to Ethernet.

kirk_dotson

We currently have eight identical machines with AB panelview 600 and SLC 5/04. I want to pull production information from these processors to OSIsoft's PI Management software via RSlinx Gateway OPC.

I don't want to put all of these machines on the same DH+ network because the machines have a Emerson Axima servo controller that communicates to the PLC on the DH+ network. Each machine's DH+ network is independent. Our current setup allows us to have the same program on all machines and we want to keep it that way so a ControlLogix Gateway is out of the question.

I am debating on which route to go with, a 232 to Ethernet converter, or a DH+ to Ethernet converter. My end goal is to be able to set them up on the RsLinx Gateway terminal and pull data from the processor. I also want to remote into our VPN to our plant network and go online and download/upload programs, with the processors via the gateway terminal. Does anyone else currently do this and if so what did you use.

Thanks,
Kirk Dotson

Last edited:
Are the PanelView terminals connected to the RS232 port of the SLC-5/04 controller, or is that port available ?

If the Channel 0 port is available, I would suggest equipping each machine with a 1761-NET-ENI or a Digi One RS232/Ethernet interface. That will allow you access to the controller as well as to the connected PanelView terminal (using DF1->DH+ passthrough).

Adding a DH+ to Ethernet interface, whether it's a 1756-DHRIO channel or a EquusTek or SST box to each machine is likely a lot more expensive and doesn't buy you a whole lot more speed.

Why is a ControlLogix gateway out of the question? I have 4 DH+ networks and 5 Ethernet networks integrated into a single ControlLogix gateway. All the DH+ networks have that same node address on the gateway - just seperated by the path through the gateway. And believe it or not, I have 3 of the 5 ethernet networks with the same IP address.

Ken Roach,
Yes, channel 0 is free. I have heard of the 1761-NET-ENI but haven't used one. Can I VPN to the processor and upload and download programs via RSlinx gateway with the Ethernet driver?

Oakley,
I don't want to go that route because the cost and rackspace. This task will take 4 DH+ cards to get the job done. I'm working with a 40,000 annual budget and I want to get the most bang for my buck.