Panelview Question

moosedude

Okay we have a machine with a panel view 1000e communicating with an AB plc5/20 through RIO. We have operator that figured out if he pushes the "Hidden" exit button on the HMI then soon as the terminal screen comes up and pushes the run project button we lose communications. Then he gets a break till we get out there to reset the terminal. Is there any way around it with out the use of passwords or moving the exit buttons to have it start communicating when the project starts back up?

Fire him. If he's that creative, in coming up with ways to slack off, then he's got another hundred you don't know about yet.

In this market, there are lots of good people looking for jobs. Dump this loser, and get someone that isn't an ***.

So there is no way to reestablish communication with the plc unless we restart the panelview?

Last edited:
It's been a long while since I worked with a PanelView Enhanced terminal on RIO, so it's a little bit of conjecture.

Most RIO devices re-establish communications automatically after a power cycle or going from run to configuration mode. It sounds like your PanelView 1000e project is going to configuration mode, then back to RUN mode, and having some kind of failure in between.

Are you seeing a display that shows something to the effect of "push here to reset communications", or are you cycling power to the PanelView 1000e terminal ?

You're sure this is a 1000e (part number 2711E) not a PanelView Plus 1000 (part number 2711P) ?

Why are passwords not an acceptable fix for this problem ? I password-protect all the Configuration Mode goto buttons on my applications as a last step before handing over the application.

Last edited:
You are correct it’s a panel view plus, my bad. When we reset it we either select and load the program then run the program or we do a complete power down cycle.We see no display as you mention just the default setup screen of the panel view.

Passwords have been a problem in the past do to childish games or we don’t use them for years and they are forgotten

The "hidden" button should only take him to a shutdown page where the 2 buttons they are shutdown or return. At that point if he choses to shutdown he is out.

I have to add that I love my work place cause I have had this in the past. Our production pay 1/2 is bonus. No chance of that BS.
Production can make 70k+.

Last edited:
"What if" you were able to detect the loss of communications and then do an automatic reset? Maybe there is a status bit you could monitor or something like a real time clock in the display. A memory location in the display that is constantly writing to a location in the PLC. The PLC would periodically write to this location and the display should change it back, if it's working correctly. Once the PLC recognizes that the display is not doing that, then the PLC pulses a relay, interrupting power to the display, making it reboot.