ControlLogix - ControlNet

Ryan

R
Is RSNetworx necessary to setup comms between ControlLogix controllers over ControlNet? An 11th hour change has me scrambling. I will be adding a PanelView also. My asumption is that since ControlNet is now required to comm between processors, PanelView should be ControlNet also. Just wondering if I'll need to order RSNetworx.

If you put the Panelview on ControlNet you will need RSNetworks. It would probably be easier to add an EtherNet Panelview. They are easier to program and map I/O than the ControlNet version and you will not need RSNetworks

You only need RSNetworx for ControlNet software to calculate ControlNet schedules. If you don't have scheduled connections on the ControlNet segment, you don't need to schedule it.

Examples of ControlNet scheduled connections include I/O racks (1756, 1771 discrete, and 1794 I/O adapters), PanelView standard terminals with I/O connections established, and scheduled Produced/Consumed Tags between Logix controllers.

Examples of unscheduled ControlNet connections included PanelView unscheduled access to Logix and PLC-5C controllers, MSG instructions passing among Logix and PLC-5C controllers, and upload, download, monitoring, and MMI access to Logix and PLC-5C controllers.

Most folks who use ControlLogix extensively buy the Logix/Networx bundle of configuration software.

If you have the opportunity to put the PanelView and peer/peer comms between controllers on an Ethernet network, I'd do it. ControlNet is really only required for deterministic I/O, long distances, or redundant systems.

Last edited: