1771-IFE underrange value

SteeveB

HI, I measure the current of my motors using a 1771-IFE(I assume serie C, I can't stop the process today), 4-20mA in a clx and it seems to be ok, I simulate 4 mA->0 and 20mA->4095 but when I disconnect(let say turn off a drive), I get 1024 and the underrange bit set to 1. Is there anyone who saw that before? I know there is jumpers to simulate serie A and B and you can't get over or underrange values but is it the real solution? I guess if rockwell add this feature there is a reason.(?) The work around I'm about to try is loop throught my underrange status bit and overwrite the corresponding words...
Any better solution?
Thanks

Yes with nothing connected to the input that is what you will get.
Its probably -1024 thought. The work around is to short the input when nothing is connected. I don't use the underrange bit myself.

underrange.jpg

Last edited:
What if the cable is broken? We are used with under 4mA there is a trouble...Looks like I'll need to work with the underrange bit. Much more programming...o_O

Anyone knows if there is white paper regarding those functions on 1771-IFE serie C? (not the user manual, I already have it)

(Sorry I didn't see Mickey's attached image before)
We are using a controllogix and I thing the interface showed by Mickey is no more in it. The other thing is my data value is positive in the controller tag not like the one yellow in Mickey'attached image. +1024

Last edited:
Well, the problem looks like that the drives are sourcing your 4-20mA signal and when you power off the drive you get 0mA (-1024 reading in the PLC).

Another option, is to supply a separate 24VDC power source if you can configure your drives to use external loop power for it's 4-20mA.

(I'm with a clx)
We are reading +1024. With a 0-20 mA simulator, between 4 and 20 mA, the value is 0 to 4095 like we expect but if I put 2mA we have +512 and if we put 0mA we have +1024 but the other bits in the msgread word are indicating negative value and underrange value.
For the moment I have 2 thing to try, wait to a shutdown and add the jumpers on the card to simulate Serie A or B
OR add programming to scan status bits and see with word is in fault.
Or find a better setting for my BTW.

Check your programming. If you are running an Allen-Bradley PLC5, the 16th bit of the word (bit 15) is your sign bit. That bit is what denotes either a positive or negative value. If you are getting a positive 1024, then I suspect there is something in your programming that is converting negative values to positive.

Especially if your msgread is indicating negative values, then it only makes sense that you have additional programming that is converting the negative value to positive. Find that part of the programming and remove it.

Last edited: