ISA S88 standards, Make2Pack, Contol Software

FrancisL

Hi
First I have to say that I have not actually programmed a PLC for years, but I hope I still understand them quite well.
When I was programming PLC's I was not a 'ladder basher', I tried and I think succeeded in producing well structured and documented modular systems, with a good software architecture.
And I really do like PLC's because you really can design great solutions with them.
Now I work a lot as a consultant on Process Automation, and I also follow and comment on standards such as S88.
Following this group it is clear that many of you have great expertise and understanding, not just of PLC's but also the processes they control.
Now I will get to the point of this posting.
The ISA S88 standards are being updated and extended. It was always clear to me that the ISA S88.01standard is not about how you have to write the software, it is about separating recipes from equipment. Yes there was and impact in order to allow control logic to talk to recipes, but it should only be an interface without requiring major changes to the PLC software.
But I am concerned thatS88 (in particular the new Part 5 proposals and the latest draft version of part 1) is moving into the domain of the software itself - this could affect you all in time.
I have tried to document my concerns about these developments on my blog www.s888control.blogspot.com - here you will find comments and also some links to relevant webs and blogs
Have any of you been involved with Make2Pack, or S88 more generally? I would like to hear about your experiences.
And it would be great if some of you could get involved.
Francis