ISA 5.1 Refresher - Analog Position Feedback (P&ID Tag)

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
It's been a long time since I've had to think of P&ID tag nomenclature myself (and not gone along with some scheme devised by someone else). I've inherited a P&ID and need to make updates.

Could someone refresh me on what an appropriate tag name would be for position feedback? In this case, analog 4-20mA from a valve actuator.

In my case, the valve has a asset prefix then "-PCV-01". Technically I should have PY-01 or something for the output command but the P&ID has a very minimalist approach and are referring to it as PCV-01...

Would I use something like ZT (position transmitter)?
Would it make sense to append this (such as PCV-01-ZIT) or have a stand-alone tag?

The issue is that we re-use the number of the instrument (there is a PIT01, PCV01, TE01, etc.) so if I used ZIT-01 on it's own, there is ambiguity at to which device it corresponds with.

In a previous life we had something like XV01-ZSC and XV01-ZSO for limit switch feedback (rather than separate tags independent of the XV for the limit switches).

Thanks