Can you expand the I/O for a Micrologix 1000?

Rob S.

Can you expand the I/O for a Micrologix 1000? It never fails,
I think I have enough I/O for a very small project ,and then I run against not having enough I/O.

Thanks in advance.

No, not on the ML1000, yes on the ML1100, 1200 & 1400.
I almost never use the ML1000, for a few dollars more you can get a 1200. Floating point, expandable etc....
Have not used an 1100 yet, but they may be best because of the built in ethernet.

There is a way to gain a few more inputs depending on the particular operation by using one input that works like a function type input. Some of the inputs such as push-buttons could do different things depending on the state of that input. Another way is to use the hard wiring to parallel or series some devices. One more option is to use an HMI instead of push-buttons. You can also add a few relays to increase the inputs but that gets expensive quick and sorta defeats the purpose of using a PLC.

Last edited:
Rob S.,

Please note, do this only if you have no other option. I did this once and will never do it again!!!!

If you have DC inputs and DC outputs (need two spares). You can multiplex the inputs.

Setup a flip flop timer to alternate the two outputs. Power half of your input devices with one output. Power the other half of your input devices with the other output. This generally only works with dry contact devices and will not work with things like photo eyes that have a power up delay.

Descriptions are a nightmare. There will be some delay (sometimes) on button pushes. Very hard to troubleshoot.