Delete rung while online editing

The Plc Kid

How do you delete a rung from a program online.

I have deleted all the logic from the rung but when I highlight the left side of the rung to delete it it just cancels all edits?

This is rslogix version 7.20.00 CPR 7

Slc 5/04 cpu OS401

What am I doing wrong?

Not sure exactly what goes wrong for you, but you dont have to delete the logic before deleting the rung.

What mode is the CPU in ?
If the CPU is in RUN mode, then you cannot delete a rung at all.
If the CPU is in REM RUN mode, you have to delete the rung, it will be marked with D's in the panel to the left of the rung. Then use the test edits, and then assemble edits functions to make the delete permanent.
If the CPU is in PROG mode, a rung will be deleted without you having to go through test and assemble steps.

The processor is in run mode and this process can't be shut down so i can't change it.

The keyswitch is in remote as i can online edit.

But it is in the run mode.

Jesper's information should take care of it for you ... if not, can you post a screen shot for us to look at? ...

PS Edit (based on your last post)

there is RUN mode ...

there is REMOTE-RUN mode ...

there is PROGRAM mode ...

are you perhaps confusing the differences? ... no offense intended, but we're not 100% sure what you're asking ... again, if you can post a screen shot, we can offer much more detailed help ...

Last edited:
Then change it to REM RUN mode via RSLogix.
edit: It is beginning to fade from me, because I work less and less with AB, but I believe that RUN and REM RUN can be selected when the keyswitch is in the middle REM position. If the keyswitch is in RUN position, the CPU can only be in RUN mode.
The program will continue to run. And you will be able to delete the rung.

Obviosuly, you need to be careful about what you do. It IS possible to cause a fault and make the CPU stop.

Last edited:
How do you delete a rung from a program online.

I have deleted all the logic from the rung but when I highlight the left side of the rung to delete it it just cancels all edits?

This is rslogix version 7.20.00 CPR 7

Slc 5/04 cpu OS401

What am I doing wrong?
As long as you are in REM and highlight the rung on the left side you don't need to delete the instructions just hit "DEL" key and accept the edits.

What i meant was remote run.

I could not connect and do online editing if it was in the run mode.

When the keyswitch is in remote the only options you have from rslogix are offline,download,upload,program,test continious,test single.

The keyswitch is in the remote position and looking at it from rslogix it is in remote run.

What i meant was remote run.

I could not connect and do online editing if it was in the run mode.

When the keyswitch is in remote the only options you have from rslogix are offline,download,upload,program,test continious,test single.

The keyswitch is in the remote position and looking at it from rslogix it is in remote run.
Just highlight the rung on the left side.
Don't start edits or anything to do so.
Hit the "DEL" key, press "ENTER" and then "test" or "Compile/accept" the edits.
It'll take care of the rung deletion

In remote run, you can delete the rung.

Highlight the rung (put cursor to the left of it), press the DEL key on your keyboard, and it should change the left power rail to show the letter "D" next to it indicating a pending delete rung operation.

Next, press the Test Edits button, or right click to select test edits. While testing, the rung is still in the PLC, just being skipped over. The software should show it as inactive (blue without green hightlighting if you are using the default colors).

Finally, if you are sure you want the rung gone for good, press the Assemble Edits button.

Paul

Last edited: