rslogix 5000 not possible to delete rung online

chapani

I faced a problem with sudden crash of my pc while I was doing some online chsnges in rslogix 5000 plc. After restarting pc and reconnecting with plc I noticed in online there is acrung with error (e on left side of rung). inside rung logic is one logic element unk with variable ote.....
I cannot delete this rung nor change online, I'm in middle of full production offshore and cannot stop plc to make full download, after offline change...
If I try to delete and accept changes it doesn't allow me because unk is unkonwn instruction, if I change the rung and try to accept it gives the same error...

Any ideas how can I get rid of this rung that contains unkonwn instruction?

If the "e" on the left of the rung is lower-case, then that rung is not in the processor, but in your programming machine. If that is the case, the best course of action is to UPLOAD from the processor.

I do not believe it is possible to get an upper-case "E" rung marker !!

first things first ...

I'm in middle of full production offshore and cannot stop plc

if everything is running OK – then I recommend that you just let it keep running until you ARE allowed to stop production ...

I noticed in online there is acrung with error (e on left side of rung).

the "lower case e" does not stand for "error" – it stands for "edit" – which basically means that the rung is capable of being "edited" (or changed) ... the fact that the "e" is in lower-case (not a CAPITAL letter) means that the changes to the "e" rung which are shown on the programming screen are not yet registered (or present) inside the PLC processor ...

in simplest terms, since the "e" rung is NOT actually inside the PLC processor, then it shouldn't be causing any problems with your production ... that's basically why I recommend that you just leave it alone until things settle down ...

in simplest terms, the PLC processor does NOT even know that the "e" rung exists ... the PLC doesn't see the "e" rung ... the "e" rung is not affecting the operation of the PLC ...

I cannot delete this rung

you can probably "Cancel" it though ...

If I try to delete and accept changes it doesn't allow me

in Rockwell software, the word "Accept" does not mean what most people think it means ... specifically, in English the word "accept" usually means to "take" or to "receive" ... in Rockwell software the word "accept" means to "SEND" ... specifically, when you "accept" a rung, you are not "taking it" – instead you are actually SENDING it to the PLC processor ...

so ...

if the rung has an error (for example: an UNKNOWN instruction) then the RSLogix software will NOT allow you to SEND/ACCEPT the rung ... specifically, you are not allowed to SEND a defective rung to the PLC ...

I'm just GUESSING – but that's probably what is happening in your situation ... specifically, you can't SEND/ACCEPT the rung – but you might be able to CANCEL it ...

WARNING!

from what you've posted, I am afraid that you also have OTHER edits/changes (beside the "e" rung) that have already been accepted (sent) to the PLC – and that those other edits/changes are being TESTED ... if that is correct, by messing around with that "e" rung, you could possibly UNTEST those other edits/changes ... if you do that, then your PLC's operation is going to change (possibly drastically) and your production could suddenly be interrupted ... that would be "bad" ...

DISCLAIMER: we can't see what's on your screen ... we're doing the best that we can to answer your questions – but a lot of what we're doing is GUESSING about what you're seeing – and about how you're describing the situation ...

I strongly recommend that you post a full screen shot of your situation ... I cannot stress enough – IF THE SYSTEM IS RUNNING OK – THEN LET IT KEEP RUNNING UNTIL IT BECOMES SAFE TO SHUT DOWN PRODUCTION ...

Last edited:
Thank you for your time
I'm not able to make screen shot at the moment due to some technical problems, i agree that with you that i can leave it and wait until it can become safe to shutdown the plc, but this could happen months ahead also and until then i'll become crazy by downloading the modifications rung by rung, because is not possible to do directly accept all edits (ctrl+shift+f)....
It is lower case e on left side of rung, in order to modify it i need to make start changes, or click two times on it and then i get unk under r and that is a problem when i do accept changes/send to plc...

I tried upload and this thing remains, only if i make upload to empty project but then i loose all description...

You mentioned something about untest but i didn't find any option available, i cAn only make start rung edits, but it want let me accept it...

Thanks

I've been going trough what you've written

But i could not find any solution for it...
Production is ongoing but i have a full list of modifications to do... It is not that I'm no able to do it, it's just this state of program is not correct and is slowing me down.

i believe there should be some solution online to do it and recover the situation, especially if it is as you said this rung is only offline, not in plc...

Must be something, i always said rslogix is the most easiest and user friendly plc to use, but maybe i've been wrong...

Why can't you just cancel the edit by clicking on the eX symbol? If you do this the rung should revert to what it was before you started your edit.

there is no option to cancel the rung it is gray, i can only start rung edits.

i tried to attach the print screen, but due to slow connection seems to not work.

thank you

If you have a previous version of the program, something relatively recent, you should be able to open that and upload the program from the processor over the logic in the previous version. Logix will resolve rung and address comments where it can. Unless you made a lot of commented edits since the last save that should give you a good, commented copy to work off of. Just make sure you don't download by accident.

Keith

As I previously stated, UPLOAD the program from the controller, and continue with your online edits. It is obvious to me that the offline file has some "issues".

Uploading will overwrite the offline file with what is in the controller, and that is what is most important. Any "partial" or "corrupt" edits in the offline file will be obliterated, allowing you to continue online editing.

As Keith said, make sure you do not "Download", but I am confident that would fail anyway, because you have incomplete or erroneous edits that cannot be "Verified". Verification is a function that ensures that "bad" code cannot be downloaded to the controller.

As I previously stated, UPLOAD the program from the controller, and continue with your online edits. It is obvious to me that the offline file has some "issues".

Uploading will overwrite the offline file with what is in the controller, and that is what is most important. Any "partial" or "corrupt" edits in the offline file will be obliterated, allowing you to continue online editing.

OP has already try this and it didn't resolve.

I tried upload and this thing remains, only if i make upload to empty project but then i loose all description...

Chapani, have you tried to clear the bad logic in the offline file and then perform upload. Can you delete the bad rung offline?

HI,
I think that to get the "Cancel Edits" button to be active or "Not grayed out" you will have to single click on the left side of the rung in question to select it. Select rung first, then choose editing options in other words..

Hope this helps.
BD

I agree that it sounds like the offline version is corrupt. Have you tried to delete the rung when offline, then go online. Make a backup first if you are unsure.

Can you add a NOP to the "e" rung and accept the edits. Once complete delete the NOP rung