Connection Timeout - Generic Ethernet Modules Logix 5000

kittydog42

Is there a way to set the connection timeout for generic ethernet modules to eliminate periodic "IO Faulted - Connection Timeout" messages? This is a pretty rare occurrence, and it only lasts for a brief moment and then goes back to "Running". It happens once a minute or so. The module is functioning properly and I would like to eliminate these messages. The reason it is happening is because I am reading near the maximum number of points.

I changed the RPI to the maximum of 3200ms since this is status data and is not time critical.

The connection timeout for any EtherNet/IP I/O connection to ControlLogix is 4x the RPI value, with a minimum timeout of 100 ms.

If your device connection is failing with a 3200 millisecond RPI, then it is not responding for 12.8 seconds.

What kind of a device are you connecting to ? Has it been tested and certified by the ODVA as EtherNet/IP compliant ?

I didn't know the Data Station could act as an I/O adapter on EtherNet/IP. Have you taked to Red Lion's support guys about this ?

According to the ODVA website, Red Lion Controls has a DeviceNet Vendor ID but not an EtherNet/IP vendor ID, and I did not find any indication the DataStation has been tested or certified as EtherNet/IP compliant.

Are there any other devices whose I/O connections break on the network ? Have you checked the CPU utilization and packets/second loading of the ControlLogix EtherNet/IP bridge ?

There are two FlexLogix 1794-AENT units, although only one is connected presently. I have not tried checking the CPU utilization because I am not familiar with doing that. I will see if that helps me at all.

Red Lion has been helpful throughout the process, but they are not certain what is going on in this case.

What kind of switch are you using ? If it has the ability to perform "port mirroring" then you can use Wireshark (a freeware ethernet analyzer) to capture the Ethernet data and see what's going on.