classic com port issue revisited

indubasu

Oh, I love AB-PLCs so much! I tried connecting to a classic PLC-5 processor with my laptop yesterday. I removed all possible running drivers and tried to configure an RS-232 driver for talking but it kept saying unable to open specified com port for testing. This all seemed to work before though. didn't seem to me that anyone was hogging my com port though! any idea what could be cooking?

I feel your pain

Years ago, I could go on-line with all PLC-5 products with my trusty PCMK (PCMCIA) DH+ card.

But you cnt find a computer anymore with a PCMCIA slot. I tried the RS-232 option, but when you have a PLC 5-60 loaded to the teeth, online service and programming is IFFY. Not a good place to be in when working on large industrial manufactuing equipment.

My solution at that time was to seek out and OLD laptop, and build it up to support the the PCMK card.

Sorry, I am not offering a solid "today" solution, but merely a "shoulder to cry on".

Regards

If it is a PLC5 classic. PLC5/10,12/15/25 then it does not have a serial port the 9pin port is DH+.
See PDF and picture below.

EDIT: Ken types faster then I do.

NoSerialPort.jpg

Attachments

• PLC5Classicport.pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 8
nope I used the KF interface box along with the two special cables viz. serial cable from my laptop to the KF box and then the other reqd cable from the box to the classic PLC 5/15.. if u read my original post I did mention all this connect sometime before. My COM port is messed up. I used my colleague's laptop who doesn't have a serial port (uses serial to USB adapter) and we had no problems.. I'm curious to know what application is using my serial port and not allowing me to connect to this classic processor through the arrangement that I have!

RS232 is the wrong driver option if you are using a KF2
if you go down your list of drivers you will see a KF2 option

What number is the PLC5/ ??

I MAY HAVE PUT YOU WRONG I COULD NOT FIND THE DRIVER I WAS THINKING OF

but found it is an option within the RS232 drivers

Last edited:
RS232 is the wrong driver option if you are using a KF2
if you go down your list of drivers you will see a KF2 option

What number is the PLC5/ ??

I MAY HAVE PUT YOU WRONG I COULD NOT FIND THE DRIVER I WAS THINKING OF

but found it is an option within the RS232 drivers

You may be thinking device setting.

See pic below

DeviceSetting.jpg

It is possible to buy an Express Card to PCMCIA adaptor but I do not know how reliable they are.
I recently bought an Express Card to serial adaptor and it worked OK but the darn things do not lock securely in the slot and I threw it away.
Omron PLCs, as most PLCs can be pretty crancky about which USB/RS232 converter you use. I have just used an Adam 4561 on a job with Citect SCADA, Omron CX-Programmer and older Omron C200HS PLCs. The Adam device is powered by the USB port and is isolated so there can be no ground loop issues blowing up your PLC serial port.
The Adam 4561 has a push in terminal block and screw connections. It will also run RS232/422/485 - 1 at a time. It is easy to buy extra terminal blocks from Farnell or RS and have separate cables that you can plug in to the device depending on which serial interface you require.
The device worked seamlessly straight away and I had absolutely no problems for 5 days and nights running the SCADA and CX-Programmer through it. It never dropped out at all and worked perfectly.
These things are a bit more expensive but now knowing that they work so well, and the fact that they are isolated, I intend to use them for all my comms now. Worth a look.