RSLinx Classic Functionality

QasimFSH

Hey All,

I am sorry to ask this, but i still gotta do it. What happens if I close RS linx? Will it cause network interruption and PLCs will lose communication with the network and devices?

Or what will happen?

1710802626819.png

The PLC's will keep on talking to one another, and any HMI devices, and any other automation hardware they're connected to.

What's going to happen is that whatever PC software on your workstation that is using RSLinx won't be able to use it anymore if you force it to shut down.

So RSLogix would time out and go offline, or RSView would stop displaying live data, or even FactoryTalk Transaction Manager might stop storing historical data into SQL.

But shutting down RSLinx doesn't interrupt the PLC networks or operation.

That warning appears if RSLinx is being closed and any RSLogix editor is opened (even if offline), or any other software on the machine is using it for data. If you are running a DDE/OPC connection using RSLinx then that connection will be interrupted. If it is just an editor that you are not using online with a PLC, then it should be fine to hit Yes, and close it.

If RSLinx Classic is your OPC Server, then of course it will stop working when you close it.

If you are using a different OPC Server, like Kepware or Matrikon, then it will be unaffected. The essence of those OPC Servers is that they have their own drivers and do not rely on RSLinx.

I think that there is also a way to run the RSLinx Service in your computer so that the application GUI is hidden, and any application using RSLinx still continue to perform.
I would recommend using RSLinx in this manner if you have any applications(RA or Non Rockwell) that utilize the RSLinxOPC server.